Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Blog Post # 2500

Ah, Times Square turns from 1963 to 1964.   And, so too, does this blog.

From Post #2499 to today's 2500.

Timing really is everything.

I was originally preparing the monthly silliness for today.  "If I Tweeted - December 2013."   When I noticed how conveniently the year's end and the noteworthy blog post number were coinciding, I put aside the month's worth of potshots against the famous and the infamous.  I guess this is a number, both blog-wise and year-wise, that I need to recognize.  Oh, sure, I usually save the celebratory fuss and feather for the blog's birthday this March---it will be seven years old, thank you very much.  But, today's odd timing makes me think more philosophically about what goes on in these virtual pages every single day.

I was moved over the past year by two remarks made by friends about this blog.  One came from a TV writer who, when told that I publish something on this site every single day, told me "that's a lot of writing content you're not getting paid for."

Truth be told, I could monetize this blog and make a few cents off it.   I could also include some widgets that prompt pop-up advertising to appear.   Frankly, I'm pissed when that happens while I'm looking at websites.  Why should I subject you to it?  And, in reality, I never undertook this little escapade for any financial gain.  I was simply, as you have been told in the past, doing this to give myself a daily writing exercise.  One hundred mental sit-ups.

Of course, I was reminded by another friend that I really don't write everyday.  Guilty as charged and I will accept the citation for this misdemeanor from the Creative Police Force.  True, I don't write everyday.   As a matter of fact, today's epistle according to Len is the first original blog piece I have written in three weeks.  I traditionally pre-write and recycle old pieces around the Christmas holiday.  And, heck, half of January is already done.  Those Wednesday historical pieces?  I'm already up to the end of February.  I try to plan each day and week but, suddenly, I'll see an uncommonly good movie (check here Thursday for that) or a dreadfully bad one (also check here Thursday for that) and the best-laid plans of mice and bloggers gets upended.  I always try to run a movie review before the damn thing shows On Demand.  

Meanwhile, in my draft folder, I found one piece that I wrote in late August and still have not run.  That's my current safety net for whenever I'm in that horrible bus accident.   

So, no, Officer, I don't write every single day.  I wish I could, but that pesky little life of mine often intercedes.

Still, I am here every day.  Like the Stephen Sondheim ditty from "Follies" sung by the old actress who hangs in there despite it all.

Good times and bum times,
I've seen them all and, my dear,
I'm still here.
Plush velvet sometimes,
Sometimes just pretzels and beer,
But I'm here.


That's me, I suppose.  Maybe just a funny video.  Or some comical mug shots.  An awkward family photo or two.

But I'm here.

This blog has never become a chore for me.  I plan its daily regimen as if it was a business.  And, indeed, it has provided me with an outlet that I don't normally get in my everyday social world.

People who really know me understand some of my shortcomings.  A lack of self esteem that carries over to most social situations.  One or two people in a group?  I'm fine.  More than that and I find myself hiding behind everyone else's comments and opinions.  I feel inadequate to provide my own.

Until I get here.

So, in a strange way, this site provides the voice I don't always allow out in public.  Or feel inferior enough to not share.  

With the year 2013 in mind, this blog also has given a routine to follow and a schedule to maintain amidst 365 days of very odd personal upheaval.  It has been the one friend I could rely on day in and day out as my life took a 180 degree flip turn.  It's kept me grounded and focused.  I needed that this year more than any.

But things are all fine.  This was a year of immense growth.  There are compelling things happening as we speak...or as I write.  Some of them even worthy of press releases.  Stay tuned for the next exciting installment.

So, beyond the jokes and the funny pictures and the Grandma memories I coughed up one more time, this blog has given me so much more.  A dear childhood friend told me that the writing here is "uniquely" me.  I take that note and embrace it.

I hope you've gotten from it a smile or a laugh or a fact that you did not know previously.  If you have enjoyed it even for just one day, please know that I have loved doing that for you.   

And, more importantly on December 31, 2013, for me.

Happy, Happy New Year.

See you tomorrow for the weekly history lesson.

Blog Post #2501.

I'm still here.

Dinner last night:  Finishing up Christmas appetizers. 


 

   

No comments: