Tuesday, October 24, 2017

Welcome Back, Len

For the first time since Thursday, October 26, 2000, I will be back tonight at a World Series game.  Just two days short of seventeen years.  It's my first one ever here in Los Angeles, where my baseball fandom now resides after being cast adrift by the decaying ownership of the New York Mets.

Now this is a long time in coming.  Let's think about it.  The last WS game for me happened before 9/11.   In between, there have three Presidents, all shittier than the previous one.  And who knows how many times Harvey Weinstein sexually harassed somebody during that time span?  Probably thousands.

The point is that you embrace a World Series for your team because it's like a solar eclipse.   It doesn't happen very often.  But, when it comes to the Fall Classic, you can not only look at the brightness.   You can let it envelop your every pore.  Soak it all in.   Don't miss a moment.

Now, as I playfully looked at Stubhub the other day, I noticed that my season seats for the World Series could be sold for about $3,500 each.  That's $7,000 per game.   Multiply that by 4 potential games and it's a nice haul of $28,000.   
Some people are carping at me.  Sell them!   Sell them!

Why would I do that?   You have to be a baseball fan to understand.  World Series tickets are the reason why you become a season ticket holder and watch the Dodgers play the Padres on a chilly Wednesday night in April.  You endure for the moments that you are about to behold.   I've been to World Series games with the Mets.   I know the feeling I had in Shea Stadium for Game 6 and 7 of 1986.   You don't trade it for anything.

Even better for my Game 1...the seat companion alongside me will be my childhood best buddy Leo.   We have been going to baseball games together since we were 13.   Taking the subway from Mount Vernon, New York to either Queens or the Bronx back in a day when it was okay to let two 13-year-olds make that trip by themselves.   Oddly enough, Leo and I have never been to a World Series game together.   That streak ends tonight.

And it's a special memory on top of an already glorious memory that has yet to be invented.

Go Dodgers!!  From Loge 120, Row L, Seat 1.

Dinner last night:  Leftover tortellini.





1 comment:

Puck said...

I'm glad for you (obviously not for the Dodgers, though they were clearly the best team in the NL). Yes, this is why you go to see the Padres in April, the Phillies in June, etc. Glad to see your devotion repaid -- and that you're actually using the tickets to see the game, not as an investment.