Thursday, April 5, 2018

The Roseanne Conundrum

Oh, the hand wringing!

Roseanne Barr is back on TV and the resulting frenzy is like no other in the past several seasons.   You would think the world has fallen off its axis.

Such is life in the the fatally divided America of 2018.

Okay, beep, beep, beep, Len has to back up.  I'll go on the record as saying that I was not a huge fan of the first iteration of "Roseanne" that premiered almost thirty years ago.  It was not a show that would be in my recording queue but I did tune in from time to time and I always got a laugh or two out of it.   That's more than I can say about any new sitcom this season.

As you may be aware, TV networks are starting to embrace the reboot of sitcoms circa 1985-2000.  Since everything the new development youngsters are coming up with it fails, there is no better safety net than a simple rejiggering of the old tried and true concepts.  "Fuller House" is an updated version of "Full House" and it is one of the most downloaded shows on Netflix.  "Will and Grace" came back with tons of fanfare and has already been renewed for two more seasons.  "Murphy Brown," the only sitcom I ever personally appeared in, is on its way for next season as creator Diane English and star Candice Bergen have been likely salivating over letting Murphy take a few whacks at Donald Trump.

I, for one, applaud the trend.  Number one, it points out that this established sitcom format still is viable.  Additionally, it provides validation that the multi-camera, live audience style has never died.   It just needed a reboot.  Anything that promotes this, I will be a fan of.

When "Roseanne" premiered last week, the Nielsen ratings went batshit crazy.  Audience levels like that are extremely uncommon in the fractured media world of 2018.   I posted this news on Facebook mainly because I am elated that a multi-cam sitcom still has this drawing power.   I have my own interests in this area.   A little selfishness at play.

What happened next on Facebook was startling.   One friend after another responded about how much they wanted to avoid the show.   Virtually all of them announced their hatred of Roseanne.  I felt stupid for even mentioning it.

Indeed, my sole reason for even bringing it up was the renewed success of the format style.  I reminded folks that I wasn't a huge fan of her or the previous show, although both had entertained me a little in the past.  But the venom was astounding.

As more of the ratings story came out, I noticed that this conundrum expanded past my meager existence.  Social media from more famous people than me seemed to back up the opinions of my Facebook friends.  It got more amped up as the week progressed.   Most folks predicted that initial interest would die down and that the second episode's ratings would tank as curiosity would decrease.

Wrong.   A small and expected dip.  But still solid.

As all this played out, I finally figured out what the backlash and disgust about this show's popularity was all about.

Here's a show built around a White trash, Midwestern family.   The type of voters who likely voted for Donald Trump.   Indeed, Roseanne herself came out at the time that she preferred Trump over Hillary.  

So there you are.   You will notice that there was no hand wringing and only celebratory words when "Will and Grace" made its return last fall.  As a matter of fact, the premiere episode featured a story line where Grace found herself in the Trump Oval Office.  Boy, did one-sided lines ensue?   Of course, there was little drama and consternation over this.   

What "Roseanne's" return confirmed was that there are divergent voices in the United States and everybody is allowed to be heard.   Isn't that the way it should be?   

Let's just hope that, in five years, we're not saying that this is the way it used to be.

PS, "Roseanne" has already been renewed for a second season.   As for me, I am anxiously awaiting "Murphy Brown's" re-appearance.   And the return of any classic sitcoms in what is a true American art form...shot in front of a live studio audience.

Dinner last night:  Sausage, peppers, and onions.

No comments: