Tuesday, April 19, 2022

Flying With A Mask

 

So the dumbbells that are the powers that be have spoken.   We need to wear masks while flying or on other public transportation for a while longer lest anybody get the version of COVID that is essentially the common cold.

Doesn't anybody ever want to see somebody smile again?

It won't be long from now when we discover that all this masking was a health deterrent.   I truly don't believe it is good for your body...sucking in your own air for so long.   And I offer as evidence my recent plane trip to NY from LA.

Okay, I flew a bunch of times last year.   I didn't like wearing the mask but I made do.   In fact, there was one flight where I got upgraded to business class and, because you are essentially always eating or drinking in that section, masks are pretty much down the whole trip.

But, back in coach, it's "Masks Up" for the duration.

Indeed, you pretty much have to have your mask on as soon as you enter your departing airport and you really can't unmask until you step out of your arriving airport.

Two weeks ago, I did just that on my trip from LAX to JFK.   Except where normally the whole ordeal is about six hours, weather delays and gate issues in New York had me masked for over eight hours.    That is a long time.

When I finally got to my NY apartment, I followed my usual routine.   Unpack.  Go to the super market for some food.   Answer a few emails.   I felt fine.  This was nothing new.   I am one who made this trip about ten times a year for almost 16 years.   Never an ill effect.

I went to bed at my usual time of 11PM.

And did not wake up until 10AM the next morning.   Someone like me who usually does well on just seven hours of sleep did not arise for 11 hours!

I got up.   Had a little breakfast.   And laid back down on my bed for a short nap.

That lasted until 3PM.

When I tell you this is unusual, I am not exaggerating one iota.  I was completely wiped out like at no other time in my life.   I was not really back to normal until two days later, rendering my first 24 hours in NY as useless.

Did I suddenly become a victim of jet lag?   I doubt it.   My only explanation is that...my mask limit is eight hours.

Sure.   Let's keep this mask bit going a little while longer.   For our own good.  Yeah, right.

Dinner last night:  The pre-game buffet at the Dodger Stadium Club.


No comments: