Friday, February 17, 2023

Your Weekend Movie Guide for February 2023


Thirty years ago, "Groundhog Day" opened.   What is interesting to me in this ad is how many of the theaters I would frequent in Westchester are gone now.   The only cinema that was playing this movie in 1993 still open is the Bronxville Cinema.  And, in Manhattan, the Ziegfeld is also kaput.

So much sadness in one advertisement.  But we press on.   Hopefully, there's a theater open near you this weekend.   Hopefully, there's something good playing there.  You know the monthly drill, gang.  I'll sift through the movie pages of the LA Times and give you my knee-jerk reaction to what's out on the big screen.

If there's a big screen at all...

80 For Brady:   The Golden Girls go to the Super Bowl.  Yet one more collaboration for Jane Fonda and my pal Lily Tomlin.  I hear it is surprisingly good.

Knock At The Cabin:  A country vacation turns into the end of the world.  Or perhaps there's no bucket in the ice machine.

Magic Mike's Last Dance:  The third installment of male stripping.  The audience is 100% single women in their 40s or gay guys of all ages.

Puss N Boots - The Last Wish:  Have I mentioned I hate cats?

M3gan:  Still intrigued by the title.  But not enough to go see it.

A Man Called Otto:  Tom Hanks is now playing crochety old guys.   Because he is one?

Missing:  Mom disappears and the daughter tries to find her via social media.  So Instagram has effectively replaced the police?

Avatar - The Way of Water: Hated the first one, so connect my dots.

Titanic - 25th Anniversary Edition:  It still sinks.   Just saying.

Plane:  Or with peanuts.

Heart of a Champion:  A teenage girl falls in love with a horse.  Hey, anything goes these days.

Amazing Maurice:  Another cartoon about a cat.  Please make them stop.

The Fabelmans:  Reviewed here recently.   I liked it, but it does have its detractors.

Women Talking: Men avoiding.

The Whale: Brendan Fraser may win an Oscar for appearing so fat on screen.  Spoiler alert:  I think it was prosthetics.

Infinity Pool:  Another vacation gone wrong.   Don't they all?

Living: Bill Nighy stars and he is certainly an acquired taste/

Maybe I Do:  A romcom, so perhaps I don't.

All Quiet on the Western Front: Nominated for 9 Oscars, but I still think this remake was unnecessary.

Swallowed:  Teens taking drugs.  Welcome to the Fentanyl era.

Marlowe:  The famous private eye.  This time played by Liam Neeson who makes a movie a week.

Winnie the Pooh - Blood and Money:  This ain't Walt Disney's little bear.

Ant-Man and The Wasp:  More super hero crap.

Devil's Peak: Billy Bob Thornton sells meth in the Appalachians.   Obviously, there's no CVS nearby.

Dinner last night:  BLT sandwich at Art's Deli


No comments: