Thursday, August 30, 2018

A Case of Morbid Curiosity

I have this problem.   While I am not the type of movie goer who runs to every single blockbuster, I frequently am drawn to a film when it inexplicably and unexpectedly makes a lot of money out of the blue.   For that reason, I was curious about "Black Panther."   I saw it and regret that I did.   

And, like that film, "Crazy Rich Asians" opened and EVERYBODY in the world went to see it the first two weekends.  Huh?   What is the draw here?

I was...as I say...curious.

Well, what I found was an entertaining little movie.   Worthy of all the hype and attention?  Absolutely not.  A good time waster on a summer's evening?   I'll bite.   I went on a Monday night and the theater was packed.  You never know what will grab the attention of the public.

Of course, we are in an era now where films all need to focus on some level of diversity.   They will get around to everybody sooner or later until the day we all have to go see "Lazy Lusty Lithuanians."   Right now, it's the Asian's turn.  But didn't they already get a spin of the bottle about twenty years ago with the release of "The Joy Luck Club?"

But I digress...

"Crazy Rich Asians" is nothing but a romcom ("romantic comedy") but focusing on one ethnicity.   We meet boyfriend and girlfriend Nick and Rachel living in New York.   He's been invited to a wedding back in Singapore and his whole family is going to be there.   He brings Rachel along as his plus one to meet the gang.   The only problem is that Nick never told Rachel just how rich his family is.   They virtually own Singapore and the surrounding islands.  

That's the plot and you know where it's going the minute it starts.   The thing plays off very much like Julia Roberts' "My Best Friend's Wedding" with lots of popular hit songs on the soundtrack covered by Chinese singers.   There is zero new territory farmed here.   The plot points are telegraphed so much that the guy down at Western Union must be tired.

But an interesting thing happens about two-thirds of the way through the movie.  I found myself liking the damn thing.   And it starts to tackle some deeper issues about love and family and honor that are totally unexpected. Plus the director Jon Chu features a production design that is part travelogue, part cartoon, and part Food Network.  You certainly want to visit Singapore and you damn well want to have a dumpling and fast.   

The film is sumptuous to watch even though, unrealistically, every single woman is gorgeous and every male character goes shirtless with washboard abs to boot.  All of the cast are overly literate and they all speak like they're living on the top floors at Downton Abbey.  Frankly, I recognized none of them except for that dopey Ken Jeong guy who shows up at Dodger Stadium a lot.  At the same time, they're all reasonably engaging and you wouldn't turn away any of them if they showed up at your front door.   And I don't mean that's because they're delivering Chinese food.

After two hours of this incredibly mindless entertainment, I was almost stunned.  I had been sucked in completely and even had a smile on my face.   

You could do a lot worse than "Crazy Rich Asians."   I wouldn't run to go see it.  But a leisurely and mannered walk wouldn't kill you.

LEN'S RATING:  Three stars.

Dinner last night:  Oddly enough....Chinese chicken chopped salad.


No comments: