Thursday, February 10, 2011

Well, Shut My Mouth. Again


It rarely happens.  My mouth being shut, for one.  And me revisiting a TV show and finding that I now like it.

Congratulations, "Modern Family."  You have achieved the almost impossible.

There are many TV shows that the critical mass has adored and I have not.    I never really got "The Cosby Show."  I was thoroughly underwhelmed by "Moonlighting."   I tried and tried and never got into them.  The list goes on and on.

Most recently, there's "Mad Men."  I have attempted on countless occasions to get into this program.  After two episodes, I'm totally bored.  Despite the fact that the show is grossly overwritten, it's really nothing more than a flashback episode of "Knots Landing," and, frankly, that program was always a lot more fun.  I have thirteen years worth of captivated Thursday nights to prove it.

"30 Rock" is another one I have sampled over and over and I'm still mystified by its critical success.  Maybe it's my disdain for Alec Baldwin as a human being.  Maybe it's because I can't really identify with the inner workings of a SNL-like production.  I just don't like it, even after multiple times sitting in front of the TV like a constipated three-year-old using the potty.

Last TV season, "Modern Family" opened to huge audiences and glowing ratings.  I watched the first three installments.  I shrugged.  What was the big deal?  I barely cracked a smile.

Meanwhile, everyone is talking about the show and even Osama Bin Laden is Netflixing the first season box set for his cave.  The series wins "Best Comedy" at the Emmys.  The word comes down from the sitcom gods.

"Len, you better try it again."

Okay, I heard you.  And I did.

I'm happy to say so.  I have no explanation for my amazing shift, but I love this show now.  Is it funnier than when I watched it last year?  I have no clue.  Is it a better TV series than when I watched it last year?  Maybe.  Some shows do take a little bit of time to hit a creative stride.  But, I've watched every week so far this season and I find myself giggling non-stop.

Maybe it was me.

For those who have not found "Modern Family," it's the delicious tale of three generations of a very dysfunctional bunch.  Dad has remarried this Latino spitfire.  The daughter is dealing with her own motley crew of annoying husband and kids.  The son is in a gay marriage and they've just adopted a little girl.  Each week spins around this dynamic wonderfully.  It's totally organic and every absurb twist and turn somehow resonates.  And, if you're thinking this is one of those family sitcoms where the children are oh, so adorable, forget it.  Each one of these youngsters is delightfully broken.  Just like in real life.

The acting is spot-on with extra kudos going to Sofia Vergara as the hot Hispanic mama and Emmy winner Eric Stonestreet as one-half of that hilarious gay couple.  Meanwhile, writer-creators Steven Levitan and Christopher Lloyd have done a marvelous job in crafting some of the funniest dialogue since "Everybody Loves Raymond."

Yep, it looks like the television situation comedy has made a return.  This show, along with the totally underrated "The Middle" and the always dependable "Big Bang Theory," give us hope that the format is still viable.  Take that, reality television.

"Modern Family" may have won the Emmy, but they've also scored another more important victory.

They won me.

Dinner last night:  Eggplant parmagiana at Maria's Italian Kitchen.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I Hulued one episode and am reluctant to try a second. What's the big deal? Very sitcomy and not in a good way, say the "Big Bang Theory" way.

Like none of the characters, especially the Charo-accented Latina married to a man her grandfather's age. Hate all the kids and there's lots to wade through.

One of the worst flaws in the typical sitcom is the wisecracking child who shows up Dad and Mom. None of these brats remind me of actual kids or says something funny. They are the feeble creation of hack writers and lazy showrunners. Plug in snotty kid.

Bob Newhart was wise to refuse the presence of kids on his shows.

The cast of "Modern Family" is too large for a show that has only twenty minutes an episode. They frantically cram in every last speaking part. Nothing has impact when you're busy crosscutting between the A plot, the B plot, the C plot.

It's probably not fair to judge a show on one sample, but do you need more than one slice to judge a pie?

Anonymous said...

@Anonymous- you Hulued one show?! Ok, so while surfing the net and reading email there is an episode of Modern Family playing in a little window in the corner. Oh look, there are some snotty looking kids. (Let's see who is scribbling up some nonsense on Facebook). What, a hot Latina hooked up with grandpa who looks pained. Caan't quite make out what they are saying through these tinny pc speakers. (email from the bank offering a new credit card- nah, no free toaster). The gay guys now are running around with some toddler and acting all girly. ( Lenspeaks has another funny piece, oh that Len). How many characters are there on this Modern Family show anyway? That last line dosen't make any sense. Show is over already? What was all that with characters coming and going and talking and, and, and oh too much going on. Pie, yuk that pie tastes bad when its washed down with wiskey sours. No point having another one. Bad pie, bad.

Modern Family is well paced and smartly written but needs to be heard while WATCHED. Sitcomy, sitcromy. Modern Family is a Sit-com where the subtleties and nuances of family relationships are genuinely presented. Teens are moody, snotty, idealistic, lovable, limit pushing while parents try to stay one step ahead while plugging the leaks in their omnipotent armor. there is good natured humor and equitable give and take in each episode. Easy to enjoy with alert eyes and ears.

Anonymous said...

You're wrong. Go away.

Len said...

There are no wrong opinions on Len Speaks.

Ah, the joys of blogging and commenting. Fun for the entire family.

I will say that, based on my three episode sample from the first season of Modern Family, I would agree with the first comment. But, for some reason in the second season, the show works for me. The best writing I've seen in TV sitcom land since the days of Everybody Loves Raymond which is a personal benchmark for me.

Anonymous said...

I love America where people have time to argue about TV shows.