Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Maybe It's Me, But...

I read the newspaper every morning and, while it's usually just an excuse to get me to the Sudoku puzzle in the last section, it allows me to get in touch with the world around me.  As you know, I've recently tried to stay away from waxing political in these cyber pages.  Sometimes, though, I can't help but wonder.

Maybe it's me, but...

I don't give a shit about the Grammys.  I haven't watched a single minute of this awards show since Gary Lewis was touring with his Playboys.  Yet, I am astounded by the number of folks who pay attention to this mess.

My frustration these days is that I don't know any of these current day musical artists.  Who are they and just what are they singing?   These are stars?  Not in my astrological guide.

Take, for instance, this Lady Gaga something-or-other.  She arrived at the ceremony in this egg.  It would have been a clever bit but Mork already came from Ork in the very same vehicle back in the late 70s.  Was this Tupperware-on-wheels valeted in front of the red carpet?  Can you picture the poor Mexican who had to park this thing?  And you just know that he moved the seat up.  Don't they all?

Speaking of the Grammys, take a look at the Los Angeles CBS reporter doing a post-award wrap-up for the 11PM News Sunday night.  She apparently is having a stroke while on the air.

Sad to watch, especially since she still managed to be more coherent than most of the Grammy winners during their acceptance speeches. The good news is that the reporter is allegedly okay this morning.

And, moving on, I guess I can't ignore the bizarre doings in Egypt.

I don't understand why they're having problems there since, from the snapshot above, it appears that Curtis Sliwa and the Guardian Angels are patroling the streets.  But, I digress...

Maybe it's me, but...

Are you as befuddled about this revolution as I am?  The reaction of some of my friends, as well as the always goofy news media, has led me to believe that this can't be anything but a laudatory plea from democracy.

Huh?

Listening to some of the clowns around me, you would think that the Egyptian revolution is something akin to the kids from "Footloose" protesting for their right to have a dance on Saturday night.  This is a fucking government overthrow, folks, not the kids from Sweet Apple, Ohio, singing "I've Got a Lot of Livin' to Do" from "Bye, Bye Birdie."

Oh, don't get me wrong.  This Hosni Mubarak character sounds like a real dirtbag of a political leader, but most of them in this country are no better.  But, to think that this is a 100% unified cry for democracy is sheer lunacy.  Oh, sure, there's not a single Muslim terrorist in that bunch marching up and down the streets of Cairo.  If you believe that, you've obviously been out in a sandstorm.  Yeah, this all looks ducky fine today, but just wait.  There is no lock that the evil we don't know will be any less than the evil we did know. 

And, on a semi-related thought....

Maybe it's me, but...

Is everybody talking about our handling of the whole situation like there was an element of brilliance to it all?  We pretty much sat on the fence like we have done with the Mid East for years and years.  Let's face it, no area in the world has pulled our underwear down in Macy's window more than these camel jockeys. 

From the day that nincompoop Jimmy Carter flashed his 75 teeth to the camera when he brokered a peace that lasted for about 23 minutes, we have always been behind the curve on how to handle this mess.  Frankly, I think the whole place should be leveled and made "Parking Lot City."  Once again, we did little.  Let's stop acting like Obama stood up and said, "Mr. Mubarak, tear down that sphinx!"

And, wait, there's a little bit more...

Maybe it's me, but....

Why are all the same kooks who are championing the personal freedoms of Americans and screwballs all over the globe looking the other way when our own rights here are being challenged?

Can't get salt in a New York restaurant?

Can't smoke outside anymore in New York?

Forced to give up certain foods because the government thinks you and your kids don't eat right?

I wonder if you can put salt on your falafel in Egypt.

Maybe it's me, but...

Have you been to a doctor or a dentist yet in 2011?  Have you discovered that, even though you're a long time patient, the physicians are now requiring cash upfront?  My folks tell me it's because the new healthcare laws are going to ultimately screw up all their usually smooth dealings with my insurance company.

Uh huh.

Have you been to an accountant yet to have your taxes done?  Do you have any idea how much more you're going to have to pay out because of the new tax laws? 

I asked my accountant if he could somehow give me the exact name of the ingrate I will now be supporting.  He corrected me.

"You mean ingrates.  You'll be funding quite a few of them."

Uh huh.

Maybe it's me, but...is there something wrong with all of the above?

Dinner last night:  Homemade frittata with potatoes, onions, sausage, tomatoes, and cheese.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Egypt? Who cares? Only interesting because the US supported a dictator in Egypt for thirty years but went to war over a dictator in Iraq. Are there nice dictators and bad dictators?

Guess what, shitheads? You just destroyed your tourist economy and scared off all the foreign investors. Good luck with that.

Watch Muslims go batshit in other countries and overthrow their own governments. Then watch out. I'm staying home.