Thursday, September 26, 2013

Stargazing in the Super Market....At Me!

Okay, it's incredibly ordinary to run into celebrities while on your regular Saturday errands in Los Angeles.  Basically because they are also out on their regular Saturday errands.

I shop at the big Ralph's supermarket in Westwood near UCLA and I've seen folks in there pushing their wagons.  Jon Voight.  Bob Newhart frequently.  Marcia Cross from "Desperate Housewives."  They're all picking up their peaches and Cocoa Puffs there.

About two years ago, I was on the checkout line and the girl behind the register was staring at me as I sorted through some coupons.

"I enjoy your work on television."

Huh?

I thought for a moment.  Who does she think I am?  I don't think I look like anybody famous.  Do I bust her balloon and ask?   Or, as I ultimately would respond...

Thank you.

If she thinks I'm somebody, who the hell am I to destroy her dream?

Well, last week, I am also schlepping the wagon around Ralph's and I feel like I'm being followed by two of the older workers that I recognize from the deli department.  I'd look at them.  They'd look away uncomfortably.  This went on for a few minutes and I begin to wonder if one of the items in my cart was really that silly.

Around by the cheeses, one of them finally sucked it up and approached me.

"I'm the one who's supposed to ask.  Can I have your autograph?"

HUH?

"Well, my friend really wants it.  But I love your music."

HUH???  MUSIC???

"You're Meat Loaf, right?"

My jaw dropped.  All I can remember is that scruffy, fat guy singing "Paradise by the Dashboard Light."  She started to sing a little of it.

No, wait, I'm not him.

"But you look just like him.  I saw him in concert last year."

I wanted to hide amongst the Muenster and Gouda.

When she was sure I wasn't Meat Loaf, we chatted amicably.  Apparently, I have been the topic of conversation every Saturday when I stop by for a half pound of Maple Honey Ham from Boar's Head.  But, all I can see is the dude from the 80s.

I went home and pulled down a current picture of Meat Loaf.  You be the judge?
I'm the one on the bottom.  Just in case you really can't tell the difference.

Dinner last night:  Bratwurst burger.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I never thought you and Mr. Loaf were separated at birth, but apparently others do.

The Ralphs on Beverly is where Diana Ross picks up her Cheez-Its.

I'm sometimes asked by a stranger if I'm an actor. I must look familiar. They never mention anyone by name. As long as it's not Andrew McCarthy. I got enough trouble.

Anonymous said...

Len:

I enjoy reading your blog. Actually, we are all "Stars".....we just have different jobs!

Anyway, greetings from a fellow transplanted Mount Vernonite.

Tom Lisella

Len said...

Tom Lisella, thanks so much for the kind comments about the blog.