Thursday, September 19, 2013

When Somebody Gets In Your Face---Book

I guess this was inevitable.  The wonderful town square forum we know as Facebook was bound to get a little ugly for most of us at some point.  Here you have a social network where people come together to share photos, gossip about their favorite celebrities, and...gasp...even make important announcements about their lives.  

On Facebook, I've already learned about four engagements, two marriages, five or six babies, a dozen or so new jobs, and...unbelievably so, the deaths of two friends.

Other than the aforementioned demises, Facebook does have a lot of fun applications.  As for me personally, I have used the site as a means to keep connected with friends I don't see regularly.  I post my latest blog entries and also let them know where I've been of late.  I always use that "check-in" device and that's why you all know when I'm at the Hollywood Bowl or Dodger Stadium or the Aero Theater.  Too much information for you?  Well, if the day ever comes that I disappear or I'm abducted by aliens, you will at least be able to piece together my whereabouts before I was bound, gagged, and tossed into the trunk of a 1992 Kia hatchback.

I also use Facebook as a means of commentary when the comedic mood strikes me.  Remember the day the new Pope was announced?  I was cracking wise all over Facebook.  The same thing for the Academy Awards and any other national event that provokes some much-needed fun around here.  Please know that when I craft these barbs, I look at them twice before I hit "post."  I look for spelling and grammar mistakes, of course.  But, also, I give the gag another once-over to ensure that it's appropriate.  Sure, there might be an element of political incorrectness attached.  Still, I don't want to tread into waters that are offensive.

For instance, several months ago, I posted a joke that I will not repeat again.  I immediately got an off-line message from a very close friend whose opinion I respect greatly.  He told me that I had crossed the line.  And, given the ultra-cynical view of the world that he holds, I had to think that I really went overboard.  I immediately deleted the post.

But, for the most part, I'm on Facebook to enjoy myself and give you a chuckle or two.

And that, according to one "friend" of mine, is not appropriate.  

I arrived at my Dodger Stadium season seats last week to discover that it was Cuban Heritage Day.  Okay, why not?  Every other race, religion, and ethnicity has a day there every year.  A lot of the celebrants were in my section and they were screaming like crazy a half-hour before the game even started.  I suggested to my friend that, on a day like this, concession stands should sell noise-cancelling headphones.  But we endured.  And the cacophony gave me pause to think comically.  I pulled out my Droid phone and entered Facebook for my requisite check-in.

"It's Cuban Heritage Day at Dodger Stadium.  I spotted three rafts in the parking lot."

I smiled.  I thought this was vintage Len.  And so did the three Facebook friends who immediately "liked" it.

Thirty minutes later, the noise and the Cuban flag waving were incessant.  We could barely hear our own voices.

"Lots of loud screaming Cubans here.  Does anybody know if ICE has a mobile app?"

Okay, pushing the immigration envelope a bit.  But more "likes" from my pals.  Meanwhile, there are cheers for Cuban Dodger Yasiel Puig and the stadium literally shakes when he hits a homerun.

"Puig just hit a homer and it's like they heard that Castro died."

With the third line, I was done.  In any comedy writing, you do three runs and then stop.  I think it's actually a law in Hollywood.  I put my phone away and enjoyed thoroughly the rest of the Dodger victory.

As I was surveyed my Facebook page when I got home, I was astounded to find some commentary from a "friend," who was a college pal back in the day and really somebody that I've seen only twice in the last fifteen years.  I was chided for these gags.

"Poor taste, Len."

There was no happy face after the comments.  It was real and direct.  In one person's mind, I had apparently overstepped my boundaries.

This actually bothered me all throughout the evening.  I sounded it out with some folks I was with.  They were equally as surprised.

I thought about the "friend" who had chided me.  Way back when, there was nobody more politically incorrect, irreverent, and funny than this dude.  He even made a living at it for a while.  I looked back at his Facebook postings over time.  That person no longer exists.  I read one politically focused entry after another.  That's obviously what is floating his boat now and good for him.  In some circles, we need folks like him.  Personally, I never make any sort of political commentary on Facebook.  First off, I want to be like Johnny Carson.  Nobody ever knew what his party leanings were.  I strive to be the same.  And, of course, secondly, I think both political parties suck.  Done.

But others use Facebook for their forums and I suppose it is a place where we can all experience free speech.  Except, of course, if you're me at the Dodger Stadium Cuban Heritage Day.

I ponder those three little one-liners and wonder if I've truly damaged the world's fabric.  I'm an adult.  I wear big-boy pants.  I have the ability to police myself and make sure I'm not being offensive or hateful.  But, indeed, in some minds, the gray area meanders around until it is all black or all white.  And, in the mind of some robe-less armchair arbitrators, right or wrong.  Why is tolerance preached so vociferously by those who are grossly intolerant of other viewpoints?

I look at the comments from those who chuckled and I think I brightened this day and others.  To those folks, I decide to press on.  If I want to share a smile or a laugh on Facebook, I will do so.

Still, reluctantly, I went back and deleted the three jokes about Cuban Heritage Day.

But, more assuredly and without even a single doubt, I also deleted one Facebook "friend" as well.

In a world such as ours, I need more laughter and less hand-wringing.

Dinner last night:  Proscuitto pizza at Davino.

No comments: