Tuesday, May 13, 2014

For Real?

Nobody really knows for sure what happens when we die.  Personally, despite being a church goer, I ping pong between the possible scenarios.  There are days where I think...and hope...there is something beyond.  There are skeptical days where I believe that...well...you're just dusty nothingness.

The world hereafter is the subject of this interesting new film, "Heaven Is For Real," and you are immediately taken out of an argument when the first title card tells you that "this is a true story."  And, apparently, it was a best selling book as well.  So, the author is not only anticipating a glorious after-life, he's making oodles of cash now while alive.

This film tells the tale of the Burpo family and one would debate that, if there really is a God, they wouldn't have to go through life with that last name. Todd is the dad, a carpet salesman who also doubles as the town pastor in some Midwestern rural town where people still actually go to church on Sundays. 

Times are rough for his wife and two kids.  We get the struggles right from the get go.  Carpet business is slow.  Church attendance isn't great.  Todd, also a volunteer fireman, has wrecked his leg in a town softball game.  It's not a good time to be a Burpo.  But, then again, when is?

When four-year-old son Colton has a ruptured appendix, the town bands together to all pray simultaneously for the boy's recovery.  While in surgery, Colton may or may not have died for a few minutes.  But, the kid is sure of one thing.  He went to Heaven.  And is not shy about talking to people about his visit. They all, for one reason or another, are uncomfortable with the subject matter.  Go figure.

Here is where the movie careens a bit off course.  Instead of hearing through the boy's words his vision of the hereafter, director Randall Wallace (screenwriter of "Braveheart" and a Mel Gibson crony) goes for the visual gusto.  We see a sequence of cheesy clouds and images, combined with singing angels and a visit by Jesus Christ himself.  Indeed, Wallace should have gone the "less is more" route and ignore the temptation to give us the American Greeting Cards concept of Heaven.  But, he doesn't and the film suffers for a while because of it.

Once we are back to simple images and Colton's recollections, the movie improves.  Greg Kinnear is terrific as Todd and a standout in what is basically a no-name cast.  At the end, he addresses us all on just what Heaven is.  And it's a congregational sermon that would make Billy Graham proud.  Admittedly, "Heaven Is For Real" plays very much like a Hallmark Channel movie.  But, whatever your beliefs are, the film makes you think about the prospects of afterlife one more time.  Especially when it connects to a real CNN story about a young girl overseas some place who had the same Heavenly journey and now has painted the image of Jesus that she saw.
 Frankly, this painting sort of reminds me of the picture of Al Pacino on the old "Serpico" movie poster.  But, what do I know?

Okay, the movie won't be for everybody.  And, it might have been much better if in more capable directorial hands.   That said, I realized that I've had my spiritual doubts of late.  The movie didn't necessarily settle the argument for me, but it sure did give me another definitive side of the debate.

Indeed, my own pastor has frequently told us of tales about people she's been with before they pass on.  There is a calmness.  There is beautiful music.   There is a sense of a world without problems.  She's also told us of some memorial services where music suddenly shuts off and locked doors inexplicably blow open.

Another friend of mine had a relative (now deceased) who had previously died for about twenty minutes.  When she came back, she reported...nothing.

And so it continues.  The debate of centuries.

I can only offer my one argument.

Last summer, I was doing a lot of financial work for my church.  I was there one weekday afternoon by myself.  Looking at the checking account ledger and wondering one more time how the church could stay open.  As I was leaving the office, I crossed in front of the altar and actually voiced out loud the words.

"This church needs to close."

The back of my neck was hit with a warm, but sudden feeling.  It went away as quickly as it came.  I quickly turned around and looked up.  There was a ray of light coming through the stained glass image of a young Jesus over our altar.  Was that the source of heat that zapped me?  But, the ray suddenly evaporated. 

Hmmm?

I told my pastor and she thought it was a sign.  Meanwhile, I make sure never to make any audible pronouncements whenever I'm alone in that building.

It was that singular experience that made me want to go see "Heaven Is For Real" in the first place.  I was looking for answers.

But, of course, when you look for answers, you're almost always presented with more questions.

LEN'S RATING:  Three stars.

Dinner last night:  Leftover sausage and salad.
 


3 comments:

Puck said...

I read the book and intend to see the movie. It's fascinating. As a Catholic, I have no doubt there is a heaven (and hell), and that God works in mysterious ways. This book/movie is one of them.

Anonymous said...

The older I get and the closer to my last day, the more I'm convinced there ain't nothing else. This life and done. No reward, no punishment, no do-over.

People who believe in Heaven are luckier than me. They expect paradise for eternity. I expect to croak and be forgotten like the billions before me. We're just animals with bigger brains, language, and imagination.

Our ancestors wondered about death and created all the scenarios we still cling to - heaven, hell, reincarnation. All are human inventions.

I deny no one the comfort their beliefs provide. My brother believes his wife is in heaven. I never disagree out loud. Whatever lessens his grief is a good thing.

Just don't make dumb movies about it.

Unknown said...

Just another perspective. Believing is not a matter of luck. It is hard hard work in the face of the levels of human evil that makes a mockery of the relentless love of God who became man just to restore a broken relationship, which we broke, because of our free will ignited by the need to be gods on our own terms. Comfort only comes in flashes and then it is gone. It is act every day, "Lord, I believe, help my unbelief". There is a line of great thinkers who have written tomes on reasons to believe. How is it less a human invention to insist heaven doesn't exist? If nothing else, would it not be preferable to take Pascal's wager? If we who try to believe day in and day out are wrong, we'll never know it. There are at least as many reasons to try to believe as there are not to believe. What I liked about the movie was how people who claimed to believe were so insistent that the boy had not had an experience of heaven. Being a member of a church doesn't insulate anyone fro pain, or doubt, or insensitivity or wrongheadedness. That's why it is such hard work.