Tuesday, May 20, 2014

The Simple Life

I'm in New York now and I was asked by one of my clients why I was going on this particular trip.

"I need to dust."

Yes, I did.  I hadn't been in my Westchester apartment since mid-February.  And things needed to be done. 

As more of an entrepreneur these days, I've gotten a bit more flexibility when it comes to returning to the coast of my birth.  Oh, sure, I can work anywhere and did.  I did a couple of sales calls while here.  But, also, the Dodgers were in town playing the Mets.   And, of course, there's the lure to see old friends. 

But, with work and career a bit more manageable, I have come to town to....well, relax.

That's the attraction these days as you see above the view from my apartment terrace on a cloudy Sunday afternoon.  Yes, it's that green.   Last time I was here, it was barren and completely white.  But, regardless of the color and the foliage, there's one thing that I will always love about this second home.

It's quiet. 

Yes, I came to the New York metropolitan area for a little solitude. 

While I love LA and all the great things about it, I do miss the little residence I had set up in this off-the-beaten-track apartment complex literally on the border of Yonkers and Hastings.  It's still a nice place to work and play and read a book.  I realize that this is where I come now to completely zone out and, at the same time, re-charge my batteries.

People ask if I will ever move back to New York.  With the weather and my knees, of course not.  A wise young man advised me "you don't retire to New York."   And you shouldn't.   Most of my friends are looking actively to get out. 

But, for short respites, I would love to hold onto this little gem as long as I can.

I was reminded of the simplicity last Saturday.  I had some errands to run for the apartment.  And, of course, I did them in Hastings.  The wonderfully quaint Main Street that is so nice and pleasant that you can't fathom how it could possibly exist in the America of 2014.
When I lived here, I tried to frequent these merchants as much as possible.   I note that some have shut down as a result of the country's inept fiscal management the past decade and a half.  But, most of the stores I recall are still there in this small town.  You can do everything on these two blocks.

Sure, there's your basic Food Emporium super market.  But, also a butcher and a delicatessen and a bakery.  My former dry cleaner.   A wine merchant with regular tastings.  The Chinese take-out place. 

The hardware store where they always endured my very stupid questions.  I had come home this time to a terrace door that was jammed shut.  How do I get this open?  Why do I need?   The clerk walked me through it all.

I take an over-the-counter stomach remedy called Equalactin and it has become very hard to find.   I walk over to the Mom and Pop pharmacy I used to take my prescriptions to.  I asked the girl if they carried it.  No.  But her next response almost took me by surprise.

"But we will be happy to order it for you."

They had it two days later.

Ah, so this is why I come.  It's nice.  It's friendly.

It's different from my life anywhere else.  Oh, I like the excitement of the big city.  But, just for small doses, there is nothing like the simple life of my New York existence.

Dinner last night:  Short ribs at Allo'Onda.

No comments: