Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Straight Outta Huh?

Yeah, this happened.   And nobody is more surprised than me.   Well, maybe you.

I get my car regularly serviced at Culver City Toyota.  It's ideal because there's an Arclight movie theater right down the block.  Instead of waiting out my oil change by watching people watch the View in the waiting room, I opt for a movie.

Last week, the timing worked out that there was only one movie available to me.   

Yep, the poster above.  

Okay, I wasn't completely resistant to seeing this film.   While I am certainly not a devotee of rap or hip hop music. I had read good reviews from both professionals and friends on Facebook.   Plus there is the faint buzz of Oscar talk.   And I did have a two-hour lube job to kill.

Full disclosure, I didn't even know what NWA stood for before this movie.   I thought I was the last person in the world not to know, but I have since learned that another friend was also in the dark on the abbreviation.  I know now.  And, while certainly not a fan of Dr. Dre and Ice Cube and Eazy E, it turns out that their story portrayed on the screen is somewhat fascinating.

True, the film is way too long.  True, the writing and direction is heavy-handed. All police are portrayed as extensions of Adolf Hitler's personality at its worst. And the hit that shot this group to stardom, "Fuck the Police" is so problematic in so many ways.

But, still, the story of NWA's creation and ultimate dissolution is a compelling one to watch.   I mean, it's your basic rags-to-riches tale and a perfect illustration of how instant success and stardom is never a good thing.  

Plus there is the supporting role of Paul Giamatti as NWA's manager to behold. Last year, after seeing "Whiplash" long before anybody else, I immediately predicted in these virtual pages that JK Simmons was a certain Oscar winner for his performance.  And he was.  Well, you heard it here.  Giamatti, for his extra creepy turn as manager Jerry Heller, will be going home with some gold on Oscar night.  He steals every scene he's in, which is fitting in this film because he's a thief.

I'd tell you to see this film for Paul Giamatti alone.   But, overall, it has a lot of merits and there are worse ways to wait out an oil change.

You could see and watch the View, eating snacks from Toyota's vending machine.

LEN'S RATING:  Three stars.

Dinner last night:  Garlic pork and vegetable stir fry.

No comments: