Thursday, April 6, 2017

Shelf Life

When I first moved out on my own many decades ago, my dad gifted me with a 19 inch Zenith portable TV.  This was as archaic as they come.  I mean, there was no remote control.  

Somehow, inexplicably, this television lasted in my NY apartment until about five years ago.  A remarkable life span that outlasted the most latest of technologies.

I mention this only because I recently went through the ultimate breakdowns of three devices that were all less than five years old.   We have come a long way, baby.   Not.

So, in order of disappearance, there was my Droid phone.   It simply stopped recharging.   I am told this is common and that such phones usually don't last. Bye.   Hello, Moto Z Force.

Then there was my Samsung blu-ray player.  It simply stopped powering up.   I called Samsung.   Yes, that can happen after a while.   In this case, "a while" is less than two years.

Lastly, I had to say "so long" to my Samsung Galaxy Note tablet.   On my recent New York trip, it would power up, reboot, then power up, then reboot again. It would go through this laborious process about ten times before even kicking in. And when this finally happened, the screen had a purplish-pink tint.  Everything looked like it had been dipped in grape jelly.

Now this tablet was only about four years old.   I called Verizon and then Samsung.   Good news.   I had insurance.   Bad news. It only kicks in if you dropped it or spilled liquid on it.

In all instances, I was advised that the cost of repair would probably cost more than an actual new device itself.   And how many times have you heard that?  

I wonder about shelf life.   Nothing is built to last any more.   Given the significant ramp up of new technologies, your phone or tablet or whatever is probably antiquated as soon as you get it home.  You start to rationalize by saying that you want the most up-to-date of devices.   Indeed, I start to believe that manufacturers are purposely building these things not to last.   As great as innovations are today in 2017, nothing is forever.   As a matter of fact, nothing is even five years any more.

I think about that 19 inch Zenith portable TV.   Instead of having the junk guys haul it away, maybe I should have sent it to the Smithsonian.

Dinner last night:  Sauteed spinach, garlic, and mushrooms.

No comments: