Tuesday, June 26, 2018

Like, Len

Look at that, will ya?  I gave away the whole movie review in the title of the blog entry.   Still, I'd read on if I were you.

So, "Love, Simon" is one of those well-reviewed films that didn't get a lot of traction at the box office and was gone before I got a chance to see it.  This was surprising to me given its subject matter and the intense marketing campaign they sported which targeted almost exclusively the West Hollywood area.   But, thank goodness for American Airlines and its robust film library.  I was able to catch up to "Love, Simon" at 35,000 feet.

This movie was directed by former "Brothers and Sisters" show runner Greg Berlanti, gay himself and I guessing there's a lot of his story in Simon's.  The lead character is your typical high school teen, coping with classes, friends, and the ever present specter of social media in 2018.  The difference is Simon knows he is gay and struggles over how he will tell his family and friends.   

Again, the aforementioned social media is now a standard plot complication in most romantic comedies filmed after 2010 and it, of course, plays a major role here in what happens to Simon.   Even at a high altitude over Nevada, I could see the twists and turns coming about 10-15 minutes before they happened.  But, despite the familiarity and triteness, much of "Love, Simon" still worked. This is due in extra large part to two particularly winning performances...Nick Robinson as Simon and Jennifer Garner as his mom and she certainly has much more talent than what is displayed in those Capital One commercials.  The ultimate scene between Simon and Mom is expertly written and seems even more real than what real can be.

The bulk of "Love, Simon" is pretty cookie-cutter and none of the other younger actors stand out as particularly memorable.   But, it still won me over and I finished it before I passed over the state of Nebraska.

A state which I am guessing didn't have many theaters playing "Love, Simon" either.

LEN'S RATING:  Three stars.

Dinner last night:  Pineapple chicken and shrimp at the Cheesecake Factory.

No comments: