Tuesday, June 19, 2018

#NotMe

Stumbling around social media, I ran across this post which was shared by a friend.   The originator of the entry was Occupy Democrats Logic, which, just by name, is ridiculous.  I mean, how can a political party name and the word "logic" appear together?

I noted that the asshole in this photo was taking the time to apologize to all women for past treatment on behalf of all men.

Speak for yourself, jerk.  I didn't do anything.

I have tried to treat the opposite sex with kindness all my life.   I've never harassed a woman or abused one or raped one.   I did accidentally punch a girl "friend" in the mouth back in college.  It was an amusement park and I had tripped.  I stuck my clenched hand out to brace a fall forward.  Her chin was right there.   She relentlessly never let me forget it.  In retrospect, she was incredibly annoying and probably had it coming.

But I digress...
I have been an upstanding gentleman in all my dating years.  Hmmm, maybe that's why I never married.   Whatever.   In 2018, the goal is obviously to throw all guys under the bus.   And, frankly, I would prefer not to have some tires run over my face.

Of course, a lot of this is due to the #MeToo movement which has commandeered the thought processes of Hollywood and Washington, DC the past eight months.   Thank you, Harvey Weinstein.   I believe most of the stories and I'm livid for the pain and anguish they have caused.

But, now every guy is being neutered in public and this is unfunny.  My trainer and I were talking about this the other day at the gym.   In this new enlightened age, you have to be careful what you say to a woman.   You can't even compliment them for fear it will be taken the wrong way.

Personally, if somebody I know looks particularly good in an outfit or has lost a little weight, I'd like to acknowledge it.  But you can't.   And that includes if I want to compliment a male friend as well.

This all sucques.

Here's how freaking upstanding I have been in my life.   Here in Hollywood, casting couch tales are rampant.  So, a few years ago, I wanted to approach this actress to be the lead in our project.  She was fairly well known from television work and is immensely talented.   We thought she could be a comedic gem. And, like we do with most actors, we wanted to engage them directly in lieu of dealing with the solid brick wall of agentdom.  

I actually tracked her down to Facebook and that would be the route.   Except I was totally conscious about the fact that I was a guy.  I thought that would be way too creepy for a strange "producer-writer" due to approach her on-line. Considering her sensitivity, I had our female associate producer make the initial overture.   When it was received positively, I told her to extend a lunch invitation.   But, then, my sensitivity kicked in again.   I made sure the female associate producer came to lunch, too.   And, indeed, the next couple of times we got together, I made sure it was always a threesome.

Now, the actress and I are friends, so the walls are down and chaperones are unnecessary.   But, as I simply worried about one woman's sensibilities, I realized just how easy it can be for someone to be...well...a nice guy.

Maybe I'm the extreme.  Maybe I am a super rarity.  Perhaps.   But, when apologies are being offered from one gender to another, please leave my name off the global signature.

Dinner last night:  Leftover sausage, peppers, and onions.

No comments: