Tuesday, May 23, 2023

Near Fatal Mistake


Sometimes I don't know why I watch what I watch.

In reality, there is zero reason to be interested in the Paramount Plus TV series reboot of "Fatal Attraction."  I mean, the 1987 movie was perfectly fine and the cast of Michael Douglas, Glenn Close, and Anne Archer was almost iconic as the famous triangle.

But, years later, we no longer have remakes.   We have re-imaginations.   That's an awfully fancy word to explain that nobody has original ideas anymore.  Let's just take somebody else's idea and put our own spin on it.

As a fan of the original, the TV reboot sparked enough intrigue on my part to stream Episode 1.  And, unfortunately, Episode 1 led me to Episode 2 and Episode 3 and Episode 4.   Yes, I'm likely to buy into all eight installments.

Does that mean I like what I see?   Well, yes and no.

The 2023 version takes the original story and expands on it greatly.  There are flashbacks and flash forwards.   In the current day, the philandering husband is paroled after fifteen years in jail for admitting to killing his mistress.   He is trying to reconnect with his now-20-year-old plus daughter.

But, wait, you say.   In the movie, he didn't kill the mistress.  His wife did.  Of course, you may remember that the film ending was changed at the last minute because test audiences needed that violence to appease their emotions.   The first movie ending had the mistress committing suicide but framing the husband.  

So, based on the TV show, we don't know yet which ending was used or if it's different altogether.   Maybe that's the hook that has driven me in.  

At the same time, the TV show introduces a bevy of other characters to flesh out...no, re-imagine...the plot.  And, naturally, because this is a 2023 production, we have a wide range of diversity in the cast.

Now, in the flashbacks, the original attraction and subsequent psychotic results are pretty much as shown in the movie.   And here's my biggest complaint about the TV show.   The two leads of Dan and Alex have about as much as heat as a radiator in a slum apartment in the dead of winter.  Talk about the most boring sex scenes ever.  Joshua Jackson and Lizzy Caplan just don't bring the humidity we got from Douglas and Close years ago.

Yet, still, I watch.   I want to see where it's going.   If, indeed, it goes anywhere.  

Here's another TV show I am watching without a perfectly good explanation.

Dinner last night:  Leftover lasagna.     

No comments: