It used to happen every year. There would be that one summer movie that everybody would flock to. I can remember the questions now.
"Have you seen Jaws yet?'
"Have you seen Raiders of the Lost Ark yet?"
"Have you seen ET yet?"
You'd feel like a pariah if you didn't. Now you will note that all three of the above were directed by Steven Spielberg and his 2026 contribution to the summer was a dud. But we now have super-impressed-with-himself Christopher Nolan and damned if he didn't turn out a blockbuster for our current hot weather cinema attendance.
"Have you seen the Odyssey yet?"
Welp, for the longest time, I didn't. But I was noting who I was getting the question from. Not just the 12-24 year old who goes every week to see the latest Marvel Comic extravaganza. Nope, it was people my age. People older than that. It was the talk of my PT clinic where the average patient age is probably over 75.
I countered that the movie was almost three hours long. To a person, I was told that the running time zipped along and that the film reminded them of one of those Cecil B DeMille cast of thousands epic.
While I did not see it in IMAX, I did watch "The Odyssey" in 70 MM and that was perfectly fine. And, truth be told, the hype is warranted.
Like Mikey on the old cereal commercial, I liked it. I really liked it. And I didn't have to pee once.
Oh, it's got the classic over-bearing directorial touch of Mr. Nolan. And some of the acting cameos slipped by too quickly. But it was very much reminiscent of the book everybody read in 10th grade English. And I stared at the screen fervently as I was afraid I would miss something.
Now, in classic Nolan style, he does jump around in time a lot and I was told pre-film that you could miss something in the story. But I found it very easy to follow by keeping track of star Matt Damon's beard. The amount of white hair pointed you to the time period you were watching.
Because of the hyper buzz of this film, I'm pretty sure it will sweep the Oscars. And, for once in a long, long time of summers, the awards might be warranted.
LEN'S RATING: Three and a half stars.
Dinner last night: Hamburger.

No comments:
Post a Comment