Sunday, December 1, 2019

The Sunday Memory Drawer - Christmas, Dodger Style

Thinking about a memory from 11 years ago, I called my Dodger season ticket rep Kaitlyn.  Knowing that the stadium was undergoing a 120 million dollar renovation this winter, I was hoping against hope.

Would there be an exclusive holiday event for Dodger season ticket holders this December?   The answer was as expected.

"There are a lot of moving parts out here this winter.  Sorry."

I guess they don't want a season ticket holder to be under a falling construction crane.  I guess that could prompt a law suit of some kind.  

Sadly, there would be no such event this year.   So my mind wanders back to the first one the team had back in 2008.   It was glorious.

That year, I was one of the 250 season plan holder invited to their holiday celebration on the field. It was perhaps one of the best events I've ever attended in a baseball stadium. With Christmas songs blaring over the loudspeaker, we got the run of the place. There was no place you couldn't visit. The dugouts, the bullpens, even the padded luxury seats. Dodger greats and some not-so-greats circulated among the fans who were also treated to concession prices from circa-1965. Sodas were two bucks. Sandy Koufax was arthritis-free the last time that happened. Here again are the highlights of that terrific Sunday...a true memory. 
I'm in centerfield with the stadium in full view. With all these folks tramping all over the field, the groundskeepers would be putting in for overtime. When you stand in the outfield, you really appreciate how enormous the place is.
On the mound where Koufax, Drysdale, Hershiser, Fernando, and Sutton have thrown. Okay, I went one too far, didn't I? That is not a balk move, by the way. But, I have one question: why am I throwing lefthanded?
Super-young Clayton Kershaw, who looks as if he could be working the counter at Starbucks during the winter, gave some curveball tips. Nice kid. And I emphasize "kid."  His career would take off the next year.   Boy, did it take off!
This was so long ago that the LA TV market could actually still see the games on regular team via Prime Sports.   Posing with the Prime Sports guys, Steve Lyons and Kevin Kennedy. On the end is Dodger radio play-by-play announcer Charlie Steiner who was super nice. FYI, Lyons spent a lot of the afternoon hitting on some tall blonde.

On the warning track in right field. I have no idea who the Grenado family is.
A relic from the days when relief pitchers came into the game via a golf cart like this. Sadly, the ignition key was not available. This easily could have wound up in my garage by the end of the day.
In the Dodger dugout. There's a reason you always see the players hanging over the railing on the top step. When you're seated, you can't see shit on the field.
The bullpen phone in the visitor's dugout. I actually got a dialtone and tried to warm up a lefthander.
They had a neat photo gimmick. You stand at home plate between two World Series trophies and they flash your names on the scoreboard behind you. I got a little creative and simply had them put my season season location.  I have since moved.   BTW, my picture companion here is good friend Andrew.
Last but not least, here's our photo op with Santa. And not just any old run-of-the-mill Santa. Yep, here's Tommy Lasorda. When we sidled up for the picture, I had the following exchange.

Me:  "Hey, Tommy, I used to bleed Met blue and orange. But now I think it's all Dodger blue."

Tommy:  "Well, now you're making sense, pal."

Glad you think so, Tommy. Because with days like this at Dodger Stadium, I'll never ever go back to Flushing and the Mets ever again.  

This particular visit to Dodger Stadium made a memory that will last a lifetime.  Well, at least, 11 years.

Dinner last night:  Fried chicken sandwich at the Broxton.

No comments: