Tuesday, December 31, 2019

Len's Recipe of the Month - December 2019

Nothing like cleaning out the refrigerator (and the blog posts) on the last day of the year.  It dawned on me that I had yet to share a recipe this month and this one comes from my own holiday table.  

No, it's not the beef tenderloin above which I have already told you about in a previous post.  Or the smoky potatoes.  Both of these were on my menu Christmas Day and compliments of America's Test Kitchen.   

Nope, our focus today is on the little bowl of green stuff in the corner.   Also courtesy of America's Test Kitchen.   Frankly, I didn't know about this until very recently.  It's called persillade relish and I did try it and succeeded.  It's French and the perfect complement to a succulent beef dish.  Just drizzle it over your meat and it is quite tasty.  

And I still don't know how to pronounce the name.  But I can tell you how to make it correctly.

Persillade is apparently a derivation of the French translation for parsley and it's fitting because you start this recipe with 3/4 cup of fresh chopped...wait for it...parsley.

Now you keep adding other stuff to the bowl of parsley.

3 cloves of garlic....minced.

1 scallion...minced.

6 tablespoons of chopped cornichons.   Yeah, I didn't know what that was either.  It's a little chopped dill pickle.  I couldn't find it so I used the equivalent amount of dill pickle relish.

1/4 cup of capers...yep, minced.

1/4 teaspoon of salt.

1/4 teaspoon of relish.

Now, to cut all the acidity, add a tablespoon of sugar.

To bring it all together, stir in two tablespoons of EVO.  Mix thoroughly.

The big issue with persillade relish is that you need to use it the same day.  It doesn't keep well.   But, I doubt there will be little left over if you make it right.

Enjoy!   Happy 2020!

Dinner last night:  Roast beef sandwich.

No comments: