Thursday, March 6, 2008

A Movie That Can't Be on My List of Favorites...and Why.

When I started listing "My Top 25 Favorite Films," i set as one of the criteria that a "favorite" movie would be one that I visit with frequently.

So, that alone, unfortunately, disqualifies "The Big Circus." A movie that I cherished as a kid. Thanks to the old WOR-TV "Million Dollar Movie," which ran the same movie over and over and over for a week at a time, I probably saw it 30 or 40 times. Made in 1959 to capitalize on "The Greatest Show on Earth," I thought this movie was even better. Circus sabotage. Big name actors. Runaway tigers. It even had a train crash just like his predecessor. Sure, "The Big Circus" was cheesy. While some of the special effects were terrific, others were downright awful. At one point in the movie, Gilbert Roland, playing a famous Wallenda-like acrobat, attempts to walk across Niagara Falls on a tightrope. There are actually some location shots actually filmed at the Falls. At the same time, other shots are obviously filmed on the backlot and look so shoddy when compared to the real thing.

I didn't care. Here was yet another movie theme song that I would sing out loud while skipping to school.

"There's nothing as gay as a wonderful day at THE BIG CIRCUS!"

I probably would be more judicious and less vocal with those lyrics today. But, nevertheless, if "The Big Circus" was playing on TV, I was there. I knew every line and every plot turn. Rhonda Fleming, as the circus PR agent, had the most gorgeous red hair and I wanted her to be my new mother. I didn't care that the movie was shot in widescreen and was subsequently butchered in image by Channel 9. Along with "Bye Bye Birdie" and "The Music Man," this was cinematic nirvana for me.

So, how come it's not on my list of alltime favorite films? Because I have seen it just once since I was about 12.

The movie was produced by Allied Artists, which disbanded as quickly as a Howard Dean presidential bid. As a result, "The Big Circus" fell into the Hollywood black hole. It stopped being played on TV. None of the classic movie channels had it in their libraries. I even went as far as writing Turner Classic Movies. Nothing. Totally deserving of a restoration, "The Big Circus" doesn't even get a chance to be shown anywhere.

Like kids in grammar school, I forget about it from time to time. But, then, suddenly something jars my memory and my passion to rediscover it begins anew. I open a newspaper and see a picture of Rhonda Fleming at a charity event, so my writing partner prods me to find her address and ask her where the movie is. I stumble across a website created by Irwin Allen's estate. He was the producer, so, surely, somebody there must know. Nothing. I put the film far back in my mental hard drive once again.

Then, a few years back, a well-meaning good friend birthday-gifts me with a VHS version of the film that she tracked down somewhere overseas. While I get to savor "The Big Circus" again, I can't help but notice that the dub is terrible and obviously done off a TV transmission. In the widescreen and pristine era of DVDs, this is unacceptable. I bury the movie in my brain's graveyard one more time.

And, then, out of the blue comes the Aero Theater's recent showing of "Seventh Voyage of Sinbad" with live commentary offered by the film's crew and cast. Which featured Kathryn Grant Crosby, who also conveniently for me is one of the co-stars of "The Big Circus." I go into attack mode.

After "Sinbad," I see that Ms. Grant-Crosby is extremely accessible to the audience. I immediately make my way over. My first comment to her probably scared the pellets out of her.

"Ms. Grant, can I ask you something that has nothing to do with this movie?">

There was a momentary look of fear on her face, as if I was going to ask about how many shots she took to the head from Bing. I continued.

"One of my favorite movies when I was a kid was 'The Big Circus'..."

Kathryn Grant-Crosby beamed as if I had just told her that Bing had even more stock in Minute Maid. She smiled broadly and grabbed my hand.

"Mine, too."
I pressed on. "Can you tell me why it is not seen anyplace?"
"I don't know. We made it at Metro, but it was Allied Artists. Did you write to Irwin Allen's people?"
I told her that was a dead end. As well as Turner Classic Movies. We chatted for a few minutes.
She grinned. "Well, we both want to see it again, so let's work on it." She patted my hand and moved on to the next fan.
Was I any closer to the movie? Not really. But, at least, it came to the forefront one more time. And, after a few days, I will put the notion back into storage.
Until the next time.
Dinner last night: Spaghetti and meatballs.





















4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Len,
I'm wondering if "Carnival of Souls" is on your Top 25 favorite films? Remember that cult number from the early 60's. It was feature on the Million Dollar Movie all the time.

Anonymous said...

The best time to watch "Carnival Of Souls" is 1 a.m. when you're the only one up in the house. Then its creepy power is in full effect. You have to be alone and it has to be dark out. Try it. It's on Criterion, surprisingly.

Anonymous said...

Len,
You may find the following site interesting. I do not recall the Big Circus but I must have seen it. Million Dollar movie on WOR was unavoidable.

Regards, 15th aveue bud

http://www.moviesunlimited.com/musite/cornstor_06_111107.asp

Answer: Thanks for the nice words. We’ve gotten loads of requests for The Big Circus, which seems like a nearly-forgotten film these days, even though it had quite a following in its time. As far as we can tell, the film is owned by Warner, who controls most of the old Allied Artists library (such as The Man Who Would Be King and Papillon). The company is certainly aware that there is an audience for the film, which, incidentally, was written and produced by future disaster master Irwin Allen. Now, let’s see if they step up to the big top and release it. (You may see another circus favorite—Circus World with John Wayne—issued in 2008.)

Len said...

15th Avenue Bud--

Well, that gives me some new information. I did not know that Warner controls the Allied Artists library.

I am keeping my fingers crossed, but totally expecting the ultimate disappointment.

Thanks!