Thursday, June 5, 2008

Sorry About That, Harvey Korman


The hilarious Harvey Korman left us last week and that's just one carat of classic talent that has been chipped away from the diamond of our world.

Everybody remembers the great Dentist sketch with Tim Conway. Or when he played Hedy, no, it's Hedley, Lamarr in "Blazing Saddles." The moment when Hedley walks up to the box office of the Chinese Theater and tries to pass himself off as a student is one of my all-time favorite screen laughs. But, for my grandmother watching "The Carol Burnett Show" in Mount Vernon, Harvey Korman was a huge hit when he showed up as the old Jewish yenta, Mother Markus, in the "As The Stomach Turns" sketch. I have never heard her laugh as much as she did when Harvey sashayed his way onto the screen.


Out here in California, there are those small moments when you find yourself somehow intertwined with celebrities. About four years ago, I was ushering at my church's Christmas Eve candlelight service. One of the major job responsibilites is to light the candle of the person on the end of each pew so everybody can sing "Silent Night" with the appropriate lighting. As I was making my way down the aisle, I wondered who the really tall guy was in the last pew. It was Harvey Korman with his wife and daughter. I lit his candle dutifully and then stood alongside him as we sang about this holy night. How did this man, whom I assumed was Jewish, come to be there? I never asked.

One year later, I had the same candle lighting experience with actor Tony Franciosa, who would show up at church on all the holidays. About two weeks later, he had a stroke and died. When Harvey Korman passed away, I thought about both of them and remembered the candles.

And I wonder why celebrities don't show up at my church on Christmas Eve anymore?

Dinner last night: Turkey Burger at BJ's.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You may be helping Billingsley win games but your killing off old actors.

Len said...

And the Billingsley shirt gets trucked out again tonight.

Anonymous said...

And my next Dodger game is...?

Len said...

6/20----which is my dad's birthday. I am not going to a Friday game before that.