Thursday, August 27, 2009

Dance 10, Age 73


These days in cinema Hell, I am much more likely to venture out to see a classic film or a documentary before I will see the latest swill offered up by the likes of Judd Apotow or Quentin Tarantino. That way, I know that I will be entertained and/or educated as opposed to be optically raped.

Such was the case the other night when I was tempted to go see a screening of "Gotta Dance." Not only was I entertained and educated, there was also another delicious by-product. I was self-revitalized. Now I want to go out and dance.

This documentary is the story of the Netsational dance team, a group of senior citizens hired to perform hip hop routines during New York Nets basketball games. This is American Idol AARP style. You go through the auditions and then become fast friends with the twelve seniors who ultimately get the gig. One Asian lady is in her 80s and she has more energy than some of my friends. There's just one guy in the group and I wondered what his wife must have thought as he popped off every day for rehearsals with eleven women.

Dori Berinstein is the film's crafty director and she got the idea for the movie by spotting an open audition call listed in the sports pages of the New York Post. For six months, she follows these twelve dancers through the trials and tribulations of putting on several dance performances. Some of them are quite intricate and prove challenging for the oldtimers. But you watch as they persevere through hard work and aching knees. After all, as the opening title card says, "age only matters if you're a cheese."

The director showed up at the screening I saw and she brought along three of the dancers who are still part of the Nets dance team. It's remarkable to see them in person after meeting them for the first time on screen. The transformation from their appearance at the first audition to now is astounding. There is a bounce in their step and a glow in their cheeks. This whole project has been their fountain of youth. They looked twenty years young.

After the Q and A, I got up to leave. After sitting for almost two hours, the arthritic knee creaked. The back was a little stiff. I looked at these ladies who are older than me, but certainly eons livelier. What the hell have I been doing with myself? Not dancing apparently. And I began to think how I sign up for this elixir.

"Gotta Dance" is a movie you need to find. It won't be easy. Word of mouth is needed. It starts with this blog, as I promised the director on my way out.

As for my goofy knee, that won't be easy either. But, "Gotta Dance" got me motivated to do something.

Left, right, right, left, right, left, right, left, left.

Dinner last night: Evelyn's Favorite Pasta at the Cheesecake Factory.

2 comments:

puck said...

BTW: They haven't been the New York Nets since shortly after you graduated. They play in New Jersey.

However, I've heard much the same things about the movie and hope to get a chance to watch it soon.

Len said...

Puck----

Stupid error on my part. But, then again, I live in LA and there's no other team than the Lakers.