Thursday, January 6, 2011

Home Renovations - The Easy Way

As I sit in Los Angeles this January during my annual snow-less hibernation, I am working hard on a renovation of my New York apartment.

Huh?

I have always subscribed to the theory that there is always somebody you can call to do something for you.  I am not handy.  My father would tell you that.  They have yet to invent a nail that I couldn't miss with a hammer.   I am a handyman's dream.  Follow me and there will always be something that needs to be fixed.  And I will never be the one doing the fixing.

So, when it came time for me to do a much-needed refurbishing of my New York kitchen and bathroom, I naturally hit the Yellow Pages, Service Magic, and any other portal that lists the names of contractors.  This project is long overdue.  Those rooms are so stuck in the 1970s the Bradys wouldn't even live there.  And, if I tried to sell the unit tomorrow, I'd probably get about $1.95 for the place in its current state.   Longer story short: it's time. 

After a false start or two, I found the perfect guy for the job.  And I didn't have to look far.  He lives four floors above me in the same building.  And, following my father's tried-and-true advice to this day, he's Italian.  When you have construction work to do around the house, Dad would say "Italian" is the way to go.  Don't ask.

So, the work has begun there and, 3000 miles away, I am hardly inconvienced.  I will regularly update the progress as "Lou" sends me the snapshots.

For starters, here's what my dreadful bathroom looked like when I was last there in December:
And here's how it looks once "Lou" took a sledge hammer to it:
If you like watching these renovations come together, stay tuned to this blog.  And you guys have the easy part.  You're not writing out the checks.

Dinner last night:  Salisbury steak at the Cheesecake Factory.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good idea. Like your own online home renovation show.

Anonymous said...

Have you picked out all the colors and patterns or are you going to solicit thoughts from your readers?
15thavebud

Len said...

Everything was picked out in November. A committee that included me, the contractor, and my 80 year-old neighbor.