Thursday, July 24, 2014

Oh, My

I'm a Direct TV subscriber in Los Angeles and the system regularly sends messages to your receiver about upcoming events.  Most of them are pay-per-view boxing matches and that's immediately ignored by yours truly.  But, last week, I was alerted to the premiere of a new documentary about "Star Trek" actor George Takei.  It's not opening in theaters until late August.

"See it now before everybody else."

As if everybody else is going to run to the theater to see this.  And, oh, by the way, the privilege of seeing it now is $10.99. 

The Dodgers were off this night.  There was no baseball.  What the hell!

And that's the rather quirky back story which explains how I came to see this rather quirky documentary about the rather quirky George Takei.  Did I mention this is all rather quirky?  Whatever the word, I also found this film incredibly entertaining.  And funny.  Admittedly, it was more $8.99 funny than it was $10.99 funny.  I'll make up the two dollars elsewhere.

Truth be told, I'm not a huge fan of the Star Trek franchise.  I have seen the original series in reruns.  It's cheesy but I can understand the allure.  Except there's one problem.   The head character, Captain Kirk, is played by William Shatner who cannot act his way out of a paper bag. 

George Takei was Sulu and he's parlayed quite the career out of one role.  Guest appearances as himself on lots of sitcoms.  Autograph signings at comic book and science fiction conventions.  And, most recently, as an advocate for gay rights.  Not bad for somebody who did a TV show for three measly seasons a half century ago.

Somehow magically, Takei was beamed up onto everybody's radar screen about twenty years ago when he became a regular cast on the Howard Stern radio show.  This is where I became a fan, especially when he would utter his famous "oh, my."  The guy was clever and definitely understood his role in life.  He was going to ride the horse as far as it would go.  And, from what you see in "To Be Takei," the finish line is nowhere in sight.

The premise of this film is rather simple.  The camera basically follows Takei and his "husband" Brad around as they go about their business.  Going to the barber shop.  Scattering ashes on a mountaintop.  Meeting with the loony bin at Comic Con.   And, hilariously, trying to stage a musical about Takei's youth in one of those Japanese internment camps.  Yes, a musical.  You read that right.

For not being about much, "To Be Takei" is pretty entertaining.  You follow his acting career, albeit a short one.  And you watch as he emerges into an activist when he slowly comes out of the closet.  Most notably, the stories from his fellow "Star Trek" co-stars are hilarious.  Apparently, all of them realized that their lead actor had no talent.  Indeed, Shatner himself does commit to an interview and bombastically states that he barely knows George.  What an idiot. 

So, I spent ninety minutes in a way that I did not expect.  With a guy that I really didn't need to learn about, but did.  And it only cost me $10.99 without leaving my living room.  So, all was well.

When "To Be Takei" hits the theaters in August, it will be your choice if it's worth 15 or 16 bucks.  Plus another fifteen for popcorn and a medium soda.

LEN'S RATING:  Three stars.

Dinner last night:  German cold cuts on pumpernickel.



No comments: