Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Moron of the Month - August 2015

Well, this technically happened in the last week of July. But I am guessing this woman is still as much of a moron seven days later as she was then.

Let me tell you how much and how it actually scares the bejeebers out of me in a big way.

So, it's Yasiel Puig Bobblehead Night at Dodger Stadium.  I'm sitting in my season seats and this "lady" and her white-haired husband/boyfriend/trick are seated right in front of me 

Okay, people who have enjoyed my company at a baseball game know that the humor is fast and raucous for me at these events.   All good natured.  Nothing profane or obscene or inappropriate as there are often children around.

Folks who read this blog also know that I have just finished reading the new book on the 2013-2014 Los Angeles Dodgers by Molly Knight.  When you wrestle with the contents of this terrific story, you come away with a real disdain for outfielder Yasiel Puig.  He comes off like an immature two-year-old who is lazy to boot.  I've known this for a while and I haven't been a fan.  And, yes, I have razzed him and his Cuban refugee background.

"Get back on the raft."

"Castro's on the phone.  He's looking for you."

"We should trade you back for a box of cigars."

If you're chuckling now, I've done my job.  

So, on Yasiel Puig Bobblehead Night, he naturally plays the outfield with his head up his ass and overruns a ball that allows a runner to advance.  I am quick to respond.  But it's relatively mild for yours truly.

"What an idiot."

It was the best I could do at a moment's notice.

But, my comment landed on the ears of this blonde bitch in front of me.  And she was not deaf.   She sternly turned around.

"You keep your contents to yourself."

It was so sudden that I expected her to smile as a punctuation.  It had to be said in jest.  It was not.  The look she gave me was glaring.

When she turned around, my immediate reaction was to take my scorecard pen and plunge it into her skull.  But I held back.  Besides, I didn't have another pen to complete the game.

So I backed off the rest of the night.  And really said very little.   Oh, I had a dozen or so things I wanted to say to her.  For instance...

"It's so nice you brought your son to the game."

"Puig might be inept in the outfield, but so is the person who colors your hair."

Or after I got a full front look of the facial shit show she was wearing...

"Trick or treat."

But I did not.   And sadly fell victim to this censorship.   Suddenly, it's not okay to razz a player at a baseball game?

Maybe this little, innocuous incident bothered me too much.   Or perhaps not enough.   Because, when you get right down to it, it's really emblematic of a bigger problem that's happening in our society these days.  In a land where freedom of speech is so touted as a divine right, there are now so many ways in which our free speech is being restricted.

No matter what you do or say in this world, you now have to worry about offending some one.  So, so many topics are now off limits.  And talk about political correctness?   It has virtually destroyed humor in this nation.

They're talking about future boycotts of such "offensive" things like "Gone with the Wind" and "All in the Family" and whatever is going on with Harper Lee's book.  You have to choose your words ever so carefully now because there is always somebody like this platinum douche bag lurking around.

I'm not advocating evil or inappropriateness.  But, at what point do people like this woman stop?  PS, they don't because their entitlement is now way over the top.

So, an innocent comment at a Major League Baseball makes me think about the big picture.   And another vindication of a disturbing trend in America.

Of course, I'm always awaiting the day when this blog site is shut down as well.

Dinner last night:   Polynesian pork chop with teriyaki noodles.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

People need to calm down at sporting events. It is always clear when people are joking or being serious with their heckling. I can't tell you how many times I've been personally heckled at games. Both from fans AND employees. And yet, it's always clear that they're just joking with me because trash talking is just part of the game. Sounds like this lady just had her panties in a wad.

Side note: to those who say Puig should bring his talents to South Beach to play with Fernandez & the Cuban crowd I say no!