Friday, August 21, 2015

Your Weekend Movie Guide for August 2015

Lord, how I wish I had been able to see one of my favorite movies of all time at Radio City Music Hall.   Back when a theater experience was worth your attention and the price of admission.   Today?  Meh.

You all know the drill by now.   I'll sift through the entertainment pages of the Los Angeles Times and give you my knee jerk reaction to what's polluting our multiplexes this weekend.  As for me, where did I put that Blu-Ray edition of "North by Northwest?"

Straight Outta Compton:   A rap music version of "Jersey Boys."   For fans of the music genre only.  Where do you think that leaves yours truly?  But you may be surprised by a future post.

She's Funny That Way:  Director Peter Bogdanovich returns to directing with this new romantic comedy.  There are probably those of you who were anxiously awaiting this and even more of you saying "who."

Grandma:  Lily Tomlin stars and that alone gets me there with a box of Goobers.

The Man from UNCLE:  Paging Robert Vaughn.  Paging David McCallum. Paging a new script.  Stat.

Southpaw:   Unless this is about Clayton Kershaw, I'm not interested.

The Diary of a Teenage Girl:  Strictly for...well...teenage girls.

Mission Impossible - Rogue Nation:   Reviewed here recently.   It's your mission.  Please accept it.

Pixels:  There are not enough on my screen to watch this.

People, Places, Things:  Not Me, Not at a Theater, Not in a Seat.

Irrational Man:  Woody Allen's annual summer release is allegedly a complete misfire.

Fantastic Four:   Probably a lot less than...well...fantastic.

Samba:  I don't think this is a documentary about the dance.   I'll sit this one out.

Terminator Genisys:   If you see this movie, you'll probably wish Arnold was still Governor.

Me and Earl and the Dying Girl:  Reviewed here recently.  The title says it all with emphasis on the dying part.

The Kindergarten Teacher:  When I was there, my favorite part was nap time.

The End of the Tour:  A real life dialogue between a novelist and a Rolling Stone reporter.  Oh, I'm sorry.  Did you hear me yawn?

Sleeping with Other People:  There are only about five different romantic comedy plots.   This is probably one of them.

Learning to Drive:  Ben Kingsley teaches Patricia Clarkson how to drive. Seriously, that's the elevator pitch that got this made.

Top Spin:   A documentary about competitive ping pong.  This will test my theory that everything is potentially a good topic for a documentary.

Ant-Man:   Should be on a double bill with The Man from UNCLE.

American Ultra:   A stoner and his girlfriend.  Not enough drugs in the world for me.

The Curse of Downers Grove:   Probably living there is curse enough.

When Bette Met Mae:   A documentary about the two stars meeting at a 1973 party and this one sounds like fun.

Sinister 2:  I'll wait and binge watch Sinisters 1 through 8.

Minions:  It's a cartoon, but I thought it was a Yiddish word.   Hmmm.  Myabe this movie is both.

Mr. Holmes:  I hear good things about this Sherlock Holmes as an elder movie.  

Dark Places:   Stay away from them.   And that includes theaters playing this.

The Gift:  An old high school friend torments a young married couple.   Probably voted in the yearbook as "Most Likely to Torment a Young Married Couple."

Tom at the Farm:  Last I remember, it was Dick and Jane at the farm.

Mistress America:  A lonely college freshman and her stepsister.   The word "stepsister," by the way, is never good in movies.

Vacation:   They've remade the National Lampoon movie and, as expected, it's supposedly no...well...vacation.

Trainwreck:   I bet it is.

Ten Thousand Saints:   What kids in Catholic schools are forced to memorize by the fifth grade.

Shooting the Warwicks:   With the death of Whitney and Bobbi Kristina, doesn't Dionne have enough problems?

The Runner:   Nicolas Cage stars which means nobody will be able to understand a word of dialogue.

Ricki and the Flash:   Review coming shortly.  Meryl Streep sings!

Cop Car:   One Adam 12.

Fort Tilden:   Two Brooklyn women go to the beach.  Well, gee, that's never happened before.

Some Kind of Beautiful:  Pierce "My films usually go straight to DVD" Brosnan falls for his wife's sister.    And that's the kind of plot that does go straight to DVD.

Digging for Fire:   A married couple discover a bone and a gun. Gee, why didn't I come up with that plot??

Being Evel:   A documentary about the crazy stunt guy named Knievel.   Might be a good one to wait for on Netflix.

Big Sky:  A teenage girl has a fear of open spaces.   Well, then, let's take her on a ride to Vegas.

Dinner last night:  Chef's salad.

No comments: