Thursday, November 2, 2017

Now I'm One of Them

Hello, my name is Len and I am a binge watcher.

Hello, Len.  

Close friends know that I rarely catch on with the hot new trends on television.  I mean, I have yet to watch a single episode of "Game of Thrones."  Sorry, it doesn't appear to be my cup of tea.   And I am still two seasons behind when it comes to "House of Cards."  Kevin Spacey, don't throw me on the bed and jump on my stomach.

When it comes to binge watching TV shows, I am late to the party.   I am still longing for the days when you had to wait a whole seven days for the very next episode of "Knots Landing."

But, "Stranger Things" has hit me differently.  This one has pushed me over the edge.   And it was totally unexpected.

Hey, I saw friends gabbing on Facebook about the first season and it took me several months before I even decided to sample it.   Well, the tale of aliens and monsters taking over Hawkins, Indiana roped me in and I watched the eight episodes in a very mannered five days.  

Yes, the plots were silly.  Yes, some of the acting, most notably that of renowned shoplifter Winona Ryder, is bad.   But the central core of the show is this pack of middle schoolers, all great and individual and very reminiscent of "The Goonies."   In fact, as a homage to that movie, "Stranger Things" is set in 1984 and has all the sound track effects to match it.  

Okay, after the first season, I was a fan.

Then, Netflix released season 2 last Friday.  Or, as they would like it to be called, "Stranger Things 2."   Now you would think that I would dip into this casually given the World Series was in full bloom on another channel.  But I watched the first episode.   And discovered I could not stop.

Two episodes viewed before World Series Game 3.

Five...count 'em...five episodes viewed before World Series Game 4.

I wrapped up with the final two episodes before World Series Game 5.  And, given how some of those games turned out, I was probably better off never leaving Hawkins.  

Indeed, the second season built on all the stories introduced in the first season and then went off the rails in wrapping them up.   Yes, it remains silly.   Yes, Winona Ryder still left her best acting in Niemann Marcus on Wilshire Boulevard.   But, the kids are now a year older and even more captivating.

What has happened to me?

Well, apparently, I am not alone.  Industry folks are saying that Hollywood box office last weekend was pitiful and likely because "Stranger Things 2" was finally available for viewing.

A stranger world we are living in these days.   And, even stranger?   I am a part of it.

Dinner last night:  Bacon-wrapped Dodger Dog at Game 7 of the World Series.

No comments: