Thursday, March 29, 2018

Len's Recipe of the Month - March 2018

This one comes with a little back story, folks.   A couple of weeks ago, I was with friends dining at the legendary Lawry's in Beverly Hills.   Known for their prime rib, I didn't realize I would be totally blown away by something on their dessert menu.

Citrus olive oil cake with fruit compote and mascarpone whipped cream.

Frankly, just the mention of mascarpone sold me.  But I was equally intrigued by the olive oil component in a baked good.   How could that be?   I was compelled to try it.   And discovered that it was one of the best concoctions I have enjoyed ever.   I announced to my friends at the table that I wanted to make this at home.   And I did for my Oscar night festivities.

Luckily, in the year 2018, you can find anything within minutes on the internet.  The cake itself, with an added ingredient of chopped almonds, comes from Giada DeLaurentiis.   The fruit compote (in my version, I used blueberries because I had a bag of frozen ones handy) and the mascarpone whipped cream are also easy to find.   The photo above is mine, but it virtually matches what I had in Lawry's.   Taste-wise, it's even better.   So, for your enjoyment, here's how you make one of the best desserts ever...

THE CAKE

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.   Lightly oil and 8 inch cake pan.   In a medium bowl, whisk together the following:

1 and 1/2 cups all-purpose flour.

2 teaspoons baking powder.

1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt.

Put this bowl aside.

In another bowl, take an electric mixer to blend the following:

1 cup cane sugar.

3 large eggs at room temperature.

2 teaspoons orange zest.

2 teaspoons lemon zest.

Gradually add 1/4 cup whole milk.

Them slowly pour in 3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil.

With the mixer off, carefully add in the dry ingredients and fold them into the wet until a smooth batter forms.  F
old in (optional) 1/2 cup of toasted and chopped almonds.  Pour the batter into the cake pan and place it on a cookie sheet in case there is spillage.   Bake for about 35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.

BLUEBERRY COMPOTE

In a medium pot, place the following:

One cup of frozen blueberries.  (You will need another cup in a few minutes)

1/4 cup cane sugar.

2 tablespoons lemon juice.

Mix well and let it simmer for about ten minutes.   Then add the second cup of blueberries for another ten minutes.   Remove from the stove and let it stand at room temperature until serving.

MASCARPONE WHIPPED CREAM

A key part of this is keeping your mixer blades in the freezer for an hour prior to making this.

To a bowl, add the following:

One 8 ounce container of mascarpone cheese.

1/4 cup powdered sugar.

2 teaspoons vanilla extract.

Mix together and put aside.

In another bowl, place one cup of heavy whipping cream.  Beat at medium speed until peaks form.   Then slowly fold in the mascarpone mixture.   Chill until serving.

Plate it all like I did above and you'll look like the pastry chef at Lawry's.   Your friends will be amazed.

Dinner last night:  Steak and salad.




No comments: