Friday, July 19, 2019

Your Weekend Movie Guide for July 2019

Hard to believe that "True Grit" is fifty years old.   What a great summer movie!  But that's what you used to expect from Hollywood during the hot weather months.   Mindless, yet fun entertainment that allowed you to soak in the air conditioning of a darkened theater.

Welcome to July 2019.   Oh, I'm sure the current fare at the cinema is mindless.  But is it fun?  Meh.  You know the monthly drill, folks.  I'll drift through the entertainment pages of the LA Times and give you my knee jerk reaction to the garbage being magnified on those huge white screens.   I'm sure we'll need to protect ourselves with an eye patch just like Rooster Cogburn's.

Over both of our eyes.

Toy Story 4:   Spoiler alert.   Probably the only movie on this list that I might see.

Crawl:  Blog review coming.  Alligators terrorize a father and a daughter in their house.   Yum.

The Lion King:  Disney once again eats it own by turning a perfect good cartoon into a live action movie.   

Aladdin:  See "Lion King."

Hobbs and Shaw:  Yet, another movie from the "Fast and Furious" franchise, which now has more chapters than there are books in the Old Testament.

Stuber:  A cop and an Uber driver join forces.  It was a matter of time before those drivers got plots of their own.

Into the Ashes:   I can't find much on IMDB.  Not a good sign.

Men in Black International:   Who was the genius that brought this franchise back??

Rocketman:   Decent biopic of Elton John.   Still lingering around theaters.

The Farewell:  A Chinese family discovers their grandmother has only a short time to live.  The Joy Bad Luck Club.

David Crosby - Remember My Name:  Will do.  Son of Bing, right?

Above the Shadows:  An invisible woman can only be seen by a MMA fighter.  I just write what I see.

Bottom of the 9th:  The title intrigues me.  The plot is about a baseball player who has been in prison for 17 years.   Titles are obviously deceiving.

The Price for Silence:  Richard Thomas is listed in the cast.  Hello, John-Boy.

Ring Ring:  A horror movie about telemarketers.  It's about time.

Supervized:  Aging super heroes in a nursing home.  Again, I just write what I see.

Sword of Trust:  Conspiracy theory nuts try to prove the South won the Civil War.  No, it's not a documentary.

Rosie:  A homeless Irish family.  Just when you thought they were all in San Francisco and Los Angeles.

Purge of Kingdoms:  A parody of "Game of Thrones."  This means all the jokes will be lost on yours truly.

Iron Sky - The Coming Race:  Another Iron Sky movie...whatever the hell that is.

Yesterday:  Somebody claims to be the writer of Beatles music.  I hear this movie stinks.   Today.  And tomorrow.

Sea of Shadows:  Shadows must be the big movie buzzword this week.

Spider-Man - Far From Home:  When it comes to this movie, I won't be.  Far from home, that is.

Late Night:  Reviewed recently here.  Decent enough comedy.   If I get two good laughs these days, the movie is successful.

The Last Black Man in San Francisco:  I think that might have been Barry Bonds.

Dinner last night:  Salad.







No comments: