Thursday, September 19, 2019

Credit Where Credit Is Due

Regular readers here know that I have been super critical of my former favorite team, the New York Mets, for a myriad of reasons.  

Indeed, one of my pet peeves has been the Mets Yearbook.   This was a publication I couldn't wait to buy when I was a kid.   It took me weeks to get through it with all the player bios and stats.  Somewhere along the line, it became nothing more than a book of photos and ads.   You could get through it in the course of ten minutes.   

So I made my annual pilgrimage to Citi Field last weekend and I actually debated whether I should even buy the yearbook this year.   But, somehow, tradition reared its annoying head and I caved.

Imagine my surprise when I got home and opened the covers.  Oh sure, it's loaded with advertisements.   And the individual player bios are nothing but their age, their birthplace, and whether they hit right or left-handed.

But smack in the middle of the book is an amazing surprise.  A section devoted to the 1969 New York Mets celebrating their 50th anniversary.  There's actually a story you can read about manager Gil Hodges.   And about 15 or so reproduced pages from the 1969 Mets Yearbook.   Of course, I have it buried in a closet someplace.  But it was actually nice to see it there for fans who weren't even born then. 

The replicated yearbook pages did also show you how the player bios used to be expanded and were worth reading.  But, still, I give credit where credit is due.

Finally, the Mets have done something right.

Dinner last night: Mongolian beef from PF Chang's.

No comments: