Tuesday, September 24, 2019

This Is My Avengers

or Wonder Woman or Harry Potter or whatever else film franchise the millennial geeks run out to see as soon as the movie opens.   This is a movie event for people who understand story, character, and decent entertainment.

I went the second night "Downton Abbey" opened as a movie and I'm shocked I waited that long.  As soon as the first teaser ran in theaters last December, this September weekend was taken on my Outlook calendar.

For six seasons on PBS, I relished every single episode of the total 52 installments.  Indeed, over that time, I so enjoyed the characters (and the actors) that I felt each and every plot point...both good and bad...that they went through.   It was the best story telling that I had enjoyed on television since...gasp..."Knots Landing."    Yes, I mentioned those two shows in the same breath.   Only true ardent fans of both will get that comparison.   Think about it.   Lady Edith...Valene Ewing.  Interchangeable.

But I digress...

When news broke about a possible "Downton Abbey" big screen edition, I was simultaneously elated and skeptical.   After all, it is possible to kill a creative golden goose.   I wondered if creator Julian Fellowes could pull it off.

I went with a passel of friends to a long ago sold-out showing at the Arclight in Hollywood.   As soon as the film began and the theme music swelled up in such a welcome crescendo, the audience applauded.   We were home.   And, before long, we could tell the Fellowes and company were pulling it off.

The movie is two hours long...really nothing more than two episodes of the TV show.  But, as it unfolded, I realized that I could sit there for five or six hours and not get tired.  This "Downton Abbey" was that good.

I will give away no spoilers, except for what the trailer has told us for months. The Crawley family (and their ever loyal servant staff) will be visited by the King and Queen of England circa 1927.  That's it.   As a result, a myriad of stories unfold that allow each member of the large cast to have their moment in the sun.  

Yes, Maggie Smith gets more than her share of one-liners.  The aforementioned Lady Edith gets dumped on a bit.   Lady Mary and her lady maid Anna bond as always.  Mrs. Patmore, the cook, gets into more than one snit.  Everyone has that one scene that reminds you how much you like that character.  For me, I've always been amazed by the complexity of former chauffeur Tom Branson and actor Allen Leech gets to shine especially in the movie.   And since I'm a guy, I never ever look away when Michelle Dockery is on camera.

I have no idea what the budget was for the TV show but they certainly kicked it up for the film, complete with intricate drone photography of the castle itself. For some reason, the sets look more sumptuous.  The music sounds more lush than ever before.   Indeed, "Downton Abbey" is made for the big screen.   And the ending leaves us room for much more plot.

So, hopefully, there will be another sequel.   Is November too soon to expect that?

I'll be ready.

LEN'S RATING:  FOUR STARS!!!

Dinner last night:  Grilled bratwurst


No comments: