Friday, January 21, 2022

Your Weekend Movie Guide for January 2022

 

As I do another one of these monthly guides, I have a question.

Is anybody really going to the movies any more?   I mean, I can say that I have been in a theater no more than five times since March 2020.   And I am not one of those who ran out to see "Spiderman."   Just curious.   I know Hollywood is doing lots of these hybrid releases.  Watching a stream on your sofa is not the same as the communal experience of enjoying a film with a live audience.

For now, I continue the drill.   You know it well.   I will comb through the movie pages and give you my knee-jerk reaction to what's playing on screens.

Both motion picture and TV.

West Side Story:  One of the few films I have seen in a theater and reviewed here previously.   If you really want to enjoy a theater experience, this would be the one you sample.

Becoming the Ricardos:  Reviewed here previously.  This is not worth your time.   In a theater.  In your living room.   On a desert island.   Complete junk.

Who We Are - A Chronicle of Racism in America:   Will they be covering all forms?   For instance, the Black people who terrorize Asians?   Asking for a friend.

Nightmare Alley:  I've heard good things.  But Guillermo Del Toro is the director and I have never liked anything this fat slob has done.

Scream:  Yes, that Scream.  With some of the original cast which tells me Courtney Cox was not careful with her Friends residual money.

Parallel Mothers:  Two women meet while in labor.   Paging Dr. Spock.

Dune:   Done as far as I am concerned.

Spiderman - No Way Home:   This came out last month so there must be at least two sequels since then.

The Power of the Dog:  Dull and overrated.  Or so I'm told.

The Lost Daughter:   Reviewed here recently.   It stars Olivia Colman and I don't like her.   Connect the dots.

The French Dispatch:   Reviewed here recently.   The good news is that I saw it via industry screener.   The bad news is that I saw it at all.

Belfast:   Reviewed here recently.   This was a screener I did enjoy.   Check it out.

House of Gucci:   The trailer gave me impetus to see the film.   That's what I call a bad trailer.

The 355:  It's about women CIA agents, not a freeway in Los Angeles.

The Tragedy of Macbeth:  Like I'm really going to see that scumbag Denzel Washington do Shakespeare?

Belle:  Animation that empowers young girls.   Not being a young girl, I will pass.

King Richard:  Will Smith (the actor) is my American version of Olivia Colman.  Again...connect the dots.

A Journal for Jordan:  Directed by Denzel Washington.  See "Tragedy of Macbeth."

Licorice Pizza:   I hear good things and will sample.  Largely because it features neither Olivia Colman or Denzel Washington or Will Smith.

American Underdog:  Kurt Warner fans?   Anybody?

Dinner last night:  Chicken sausage.


No comments: