Thursday, February 24, 2022

Diversity on the Nile

 

I'll explain today's blog title a little later.  For now, let's deal with the movie first.

Okay, from the get-go, I have always been a sucker for these Agatha Christie whodunits.  I particularly like the ones with Inspector Hercule Poirot.   So I even ventured out to a movie theater to see this latest tale ably directed by Kenneth Branagh who also plays Poirot.

Now these Agatha Christie stories are now going through their second film remakes.  So, if you're like me and you're old enough to remember the first one, it's going to be no secret who did what to whom.   And that's the case with "Death on the Nile."   Now, even if I didn't see the original in the 70s, the first two scenes of the remake so telegraph what is going to happen that I'd figure it out with zero knowledge.  That would be my major complaint with this one.   

That said, I did enjoy how the story unfolded and the characters were developed, even with the smarmy Armie Hammer apparently playing himself as a lech.    The locations were exquisite and the now requisite drone shots (in every film now made) were amazing.  In my case, I knew exactly where I was going.   But, for some reason, the route to get there was enjoyable.

Except...

Here we have yet another classic tale and film updated to allow for diverse casting.  Now I have nothing against any actor, regardless of race or color, getting a role...when it makes sense.   There are two characters here that are now African-American and in romances with a White person.   Again, there is nothing wrong with it if the time and setting of the story make sense.   The year of this plot is 1937.   Sad to say but what they are showing you would be very unlikely at that time in our world's history.  

At some point, I am hoping that filmmakers not fear the backlash and tell their stories in the way they would make the most sense, especially if they are set in a particular time and era.  We are not stupid individuals.   We know history was not perfect.   Stop trying to tell it was.

And, with those caveats firmly in place, I sort of recommend "Death on the Nile."

LEN'S RATING:  Three stars.

Dinner last night:  Leftover Mongolian beef.   

No comments: