Tuesday, May 10, 2022

And Now I'm Back in the Theater on the West Coast

 

I'm almost back to normal.    

As you may recall, I made my triumphant return to Broadway during my last trip to NY with tickets to "The Music Man."   I endured a mask and a vax validation check to see my first show since February 2020.

And now I have achieved the same on the West Coast by checking out "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?" at the really cool Geffen Playhouse in Westwood.  

Yep, almost back to normal.

Now my only exposure to this three-hour plus play was the movie with the bombastic turns of Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton in the leads.  And I didn't really like it on the big screen.   Loud and noisy.

When I saw that the Geffen was doing it, I was drawn to the news that Calista Flockhart was going to be one of the stars.  Hmmm.   I have been watching "Ally McBeal" on Hulu and enjoying a show that I never watched 25 years ago during its original TV run.   I'll be writing a separate blog post on that phenomenon.  Truth be told, I've become a big fan of her and...well...I made a trip to the box office, despite the fact that friends thought her casting was an April Fool's joke.

Well, it wasn't.   And this was truly a worthwhile night in the theater.   Sure, the leads of Calista Flockhart and Zachary "Mr. Spock" Quinto seemed to be odd choices on the surface.  But they're good actors and those with superlative skills can play anything.

And they do.   This was a solid production!

Given how small the Geffen Playhouse is works well in the play's favor.  Because you are so close to the stage, the histrionics and fights in the play give you the feeling that you are spying on your neighbors.   

Calista, in particular, was amazing.   Using all sorts of body language, she conveyed so many emotions even if she was simply seated in a chair.   At times, I was mesmerized by her performance.   But Quinto, Graham Phillips, and Aimee Carrero were no slouches either and director Gordon Greenberg should be saluted for herding all the stray cats that Edward Albee's writing lets loose.

I watched the audience as they left at the end.   There was enjoyment but everybody was clearly drained.   I myself had a tough time getting to sleep that night.   

Proof perfect that the play you saw worked.   Kudos to Calista and company!

And to prove further that things were back to normal, I enjoyed the great convenience of theater in the City of Angels.  

Yep, I was home in twenty minutes.

Dinner last night:  Leftover Chinese food.

No comments: