Friday, September 15, 2023

Your Weekend Movie Guide for September 2023

 

Finally I can report on a movie house that's not closing down.  Oh, the former Westwood Crest will no longer be running films, but it has been restored by UCLA as a place for plays and other entertainment.   Of course, from the new name of the place, there's a lot of Vulcan money behind it.   Whatever the funding, this is good news.

The bad news?   There's still a lot of crummy movie theaters playing the latest junk from Hollywood.  You know the monthly drill, folks.  I'll sift through the movie pages of the LA Times and give you my knee-jerk, gut reaction to what's polluting our local screens.

As for the Nimoy getting ready to open?  Live long and prosper.

The Nun II:   I didn't know there was a Nun I.   Does she sing?

The Equalizer 3:  Denzel Washington now pretty much looks to make a quick buck.  And screw a new babe on set.

My Big Fat Greek Weeding 3:  Didn't the second one come out like 30 years ago?   Does anybody care?

Barbie:  Still mystified by the attention this piece of shit got.

Blue Beetle:   All I know is that the Spanish kid from Cobra Kai is playing the title role.

Gran Turismo:  Does that come with a side of penne?

Bottoms:   A movie title that certainly will get the attention of West Hollywood.

Oppenheimer:  Still waiting for a ten hour window in which I can see this long, long movie.   Everybody I know says they slept through half of it.

Strays:  Recently reviewed in this blog.   Foul talking dogs and I wish it were funnier.

A Haunting in Venice:  Kenneth Branagh is the latest to make a career out of Inspector Hercule Poirot.   Truth be told, I am a sucker for these movies.

A Million Miles Away:   The first migrant worker to go into space.  Well, that's one way to get over the border.

Camp Hideout:  A wacky summer camp movie.   So why release it in the middle of September?

Dumb Money:  Comical Wall Street story about how Gamestop became a hot company.  FYI, Mets owner Steve Cohen is being playing by Vincent D'Onofrio.

Dinner last night:  Grilled Taylor Ham.


No comments: