Tuesday, July 28, 2026

And That's A Career

 

It seems like just yesterday that Howard Stern was one of the most listened-to radio voices in the medium.   So many big laughs.  So many wonderful bits.  So many insightful interviews.

Back when he was rounding up his huge audience totals in the 90s, I was a big fan.   So were most of the people in the NY office I worked in.  No matter where you were in the building, Howard and company were on.

When I moved to LA in the late 90s, I listened to him a little less.   But I can't help but remember how unbelievably moving he was on the air as he was on the air watching the carnage of 9/11.  You could hear his voice crack as he watched the first tower collapse in a round of rubble.

Indeed, that may have been Howard's last hurrah and moment of relevance.   In some respects, his popularity was already eroding with his core audience.  

Frequently, back in the day, Howard used his air time to turn his family into comedic characters in his world.  Lots of jokes and/or arguments with his wife and parents.   It's a way of life that many of his most fervent listeners could identify with.   You see, that audience segment was your typical blue collar guy.

But, then, Howard and his wife split up.  In short order, Howard hooked up with a younger woman who was a model and probably way too hot for him.   I think that subsequent marriage created a bit of a disconnect with Vinny the plumber in the Bronx.  

Then he took a mega deal to move his show to Sirius/XM which meant that Vinny had to pay to keep up with Howard and the gang.   

Disconnect #2.

Over the last fifteen years or so, Howard strayed more and more away from the weekday time slot as he began to work shorter and shorter weeks.  That would result in less people getting into the daily Howard habit.   Vinny's son never followed him as his dad did.

But the final and somewhat fatal blow came in the last six or so years.  You see, Howard's discussions would get more and more political in nature and he clearly had moved to a more liberal POV.   The last straw was one tirade where he announced that anybody in his audience who voted for Trump was stupid.

I have a sense that this really turned away Vinny the plumber for good.

Howard has moved to a point where he is no longer sought after or relevant.  As a matter of fact, I hear he is down to one or two shows a week.   At satellite radio prices.

I'll always remember the 90s where Howard was unmatched.   So will Vinny and a lot of other listeners that Howard has now permanently disenfrenchised.

Dinner last night:  Leftover salad.

No comments: