Tuesday, August 27, 2024

The Grocery Bagger Speaks

 

Just to be clear, the guy in the photo is not the guy in today's blog post.  But I needed some sort of illustration.

I'm usually too busy loading up my food purchases on the conveyor belt to pay attention to the employees' conversation around me.   But this was a word that I could not ignore as it came out of the mouth of the guy bagging my stuff at Bristol Farms.

Bagger:  "This is all so dystopian."

Now I have to think.   Did I think I was going to hear the word "dystopian" at all today, let alone the kid loading up my plastic bags.   So I had to engage.

Me: "I didn't think I was going to hear that word today."

Bagger:  "Well, it's just my mood today.  As we continue on the last days of capitalism.

Huh?  I didn't know where this or he was going.   It was a coin flip.

Me:  "So, capitalism is a bad thing?"

Bagger:  "The worst.   It can't be over soon enough."

Me:  "But I see you're standing here doing a job for which you are going to be paid."

Bagger:  "Only because I was coerced into doing so."

This kid was probably 19.

I wanted to pray for our country right then and there.   If I go back next, what are the odds this genius is having a "Harris/Walz" t-shirt.

Dinner last night:  Chicken tenders.




No comments: