Sunday, July 22, 2007

The "Very Funny" Emmy Noms


Nothing has reminded me more of the current blight in television comedy than the Emmy nominations released the other day. I can remember in past years where the list of those programs virtually matched my nightly viewing habits. Cheers. Taxi. The Golden Girls. Frasier. Murphy Brown. The list goes on and on. I am engaged by only two of this year's five nominations, and one of those shows has, in my humble opinion, has blown up like one of those 1920 steam pipes in Midtown Manhattan. Here's what voters decided on this year:

Entourage: The only comedy series currently on my TiVo that I don't let pile up. A solidly funny sendup of life in Hollywood and it's terrific that they also recognized Kevin Dillon with a supporting nod. Even more so than Jeremy Piven (who I have heard has basically transferred his real-life toxic personality to the screen), Dillon steals every scene he is in as Johnny Drama. He usually gets the weekly subplot and it always commands the episode.

The Office: I have never been even slightly compelled to watch this, although I know tons of folks who do. My bone of contention is that these writers probably have never worked in a real office, and, thereby, are missing the real gold of humor.

30 Rock: I actually tried watching two episodes and found it as unfunny as SNL, which makes total sense. I don't think Tina Fey can act, and Alec Baldwin has become a cartoon version of himself. A few months ago, some delusional TV writer in the LA Times compared 30 Rock to the old Mary Tyler Moore Show, even going as far as equating Tina Fey's character with Mary Richards. I wish I had a puppy, so I could papertrain him on that article.

Ugly Betty: I fell into the hype and advance word on the pilot. I fell back into reality. It was okay, but, certainly not enough for me to follow up on subsequent episodes. I TiVoed it for a while with the full intention of revisiting it. I ultimately deleted them from my queue around Thanksgiving.

Two and a Half Man: I came to this show by the second season and loved it---for about a season and a half. And then something happened. The scripts became downright vile. Show runner Chuck Lorre obviously has a lot of anger issues, and, particularly, with women. The humor has turned sadistic. I cannot understand how a woman would watch the show. It has become that offensive to their gender. Ironically, the only reason I even bother to tune in is due to the work of supporting actresses Holland Taylor and Conchata Ferrell, who always steal the one scene they are in every week. They are the only reasons to watch this mess, and it's terrific they both got nominated for Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series.

As I sift through the voluminous nominations, there are some other little tidbits.

There were no acting nominations for "Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip." Oddly enough, it was the acting that made the show worth watching.

I'm seeing "Dancing with the Stars" showing up in so many tech categories. WTF. It's a freakin' game for has-beens.

Kiefer Sutherland got a Best Actor in a Drama Series nod for what was 24's worst season creatively. Regardless of the storyline, he remains the glue that holds it all together. I am wondering if there has been an Emmy season where the Best Drama winner the previous year (24) doesn't even get nominated the following year.

You just knew Felicity Huffman was going to get a Best Actress in a Comedy for "Desperate Housewives." She had the juiciest storylines with that supermarket hostage story and the marital discord. I am missing, however, Nicolette Sheridan in the Supporting category. She finally got a lot to do this year and really delivered.

Sally Field and Rachel Griffiths are the two that got acting nominations from "Brothers and Sisters." They easily could have two or three more from that ensemble.

It's a great year for "The Sopranos." Gandolfini and Falco, of course, show up on the list. But, also Michael Imperioli, Aida Turturro, and the fabulous Lorraine Bracco. I'd love to see Dr. Melfi finally get recognized. Those analyst scenes were always riveting. I think they missed on including Dominic Chianese.

Leslie Caron nominated for Guest Actress in a Drama for "Law and Order: SVU?" Who the hell knew? I need to call her.

Even though she showed up in only one episode this season, Jean Smart squeezes one more nomination for playing the boozing First Lady on 24.

It's all so exciting and, if I don't have to do something more important like clean out a sock drawer or empty the lint catcher on the dryer, I will be tuned in mid-September for the winners.

Dinner last night: Asain Chicken Wrap at the Hollywood Bowl.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did "Rescue Me" get any acting or writing nods because they deserve them. Charles Durning and John Scurti give not-to-be-missed performances. Leary had some terrific scenes in season 3, too.

Why this show is invisible is beyond me. I'm on DVD-delay and pay to see it.

Skip those retarded reality shows and check out something worth your time.

Anonymous said...

as u know, there r 3 shows i watch religiously. House, 24, and South Park. now, obviously, i know South Park doesn't have a snowballs chance in hell of getting nominated again. and u already mentioned 24. but what about House? Hugh Laurie is always outstanding in that show, especially w/ this seasons plot of him being in rehab. and Omar Epps deserves a supporting actor nod i think. hes definitely the most powerful character of the main 6 doctors. and i think the show overall should get a nomination cuz its a great show. u should definitely watch it if u get the chance. i have 2 friends who had seen it on tv a couple of times, and weren't that interested, but then i lent them the DVDs and all of a sudden, they r hooked. they love it. its a very addictive show. but i'm rambling. end comment.