Sunday, July 8, 2007

Count Me In....


I am living now the fantasy I had when I was a kid. Summer drives along the Caliifornia coast with the top down (okay, the sunroof open) with a great motoring song flowing through the speakers. But, I say, "screw the Beach Boys!" If I'm on the road right now, I have to pop on Gary Lewis and the Playboys.

Who the hell thought I would be this enamored by anything that Jerry Lewis produced? But, this is the best thing he has done on this planet, bar none. And I'm betting the loopy French haven't caught onto this yet?

I have burned a bunch of their songs to my iPod and CD via iTunes. When you hear this stuff again, it is so infectious. I can close my eyes and imagine myself on that Mount Vernon stoop, either talking baseball or girls. Ideally, talking baseball with girls.

Gary Lewis has an active website and is apparently ready, willing, and able to appear anywhere. If I were getting married, he's be doing my wedding reception. Unfortunately, the later photos show that the acorn didn't fall far from the trees when it comes to a family resemblance. He looks like Dad. Well, the pre-prednisone-head Dad. Nevertheless, the career has been amazing. 8 Gold Records. 17 Top 40 Hits. 4 Gold Albums. 45 Million Platters (love that word) Sold.

Oh, who cares? We're listening, not looking. Enjoy.



Dinner last night: the best damn pizza anywhere at Vito's.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm waiting for a Herman's Hermits blog.

Anonymous said...

Much to my surprise, I have always found Gary Lewis and the Playboys' music very enjoyable. Nothing serious, but perfect driving music for driving down the open road and singing along. Always nice to find someone else who feels the same. Too bad we never played any in the dorm.

Anonymous said...

I've been Lenned again!

Len said...

You'll always get "lenned" when you use somebody's last name on a comment.