Thursday, March 18, 2010

Reading Ain't Fundamental



It used to be for me.

When I was a kid, there was always a book in progress for me. Whether it was for school or, even better, during the summer curled up next to that big kitchen window fan. An ideal gift for me at Christmas or birthday time? A book. Preferably non-fiction. Biographical. Historical. Concentrating on Hollywood or baseball or the Office of the US President. Slam dunk. If that's underneath the wrapping paper of the gift you're giving me, I'm your friend for life.

Except...

Somewhere in the past five years, I have stopped reading. Oh, I'll start a book. Then, without finishing it, I'll start another. Maybe go back to read the first one some more. Then, perhaps start a third. And, almost mystically, I rarely finish any of them. They sit around my bedroom begging for my eyes to go cover to cover. The pleas go for naught.

I've now run around of room for these books in waiting. I keep buying them. I keep unwrapping them. I keep watching them pile up. I made my New Year's resolution to resume my reading. It lasted for about a week. My cleaning lady must be befuddled by what is going on with my bedroom bookcases. And on top of my printer. And on any available shelf.

Books just screaming for attention.

In an effort to get cracking, I've decided to document all the ones that are strewn about at the moment. This doesn't even include the ones tucked away neatly that went unread.

Game Change: I'm about a third of the way through this recount of the 2008 Presidential campaign. I actually brought it to NY and did about 60 pages on the flight yesterday. Woo hoo.

Alfred Hitchcock and the Making of Psycho: I bought it from the author at a screening of Psycho two months ago. I have looked at the photos.

Tony Curtis' autobiography: I got up to the part where he slept with Marilyn Monroe. The first time.

Forever Blue: Biography of Dodger owner Walter O'Malley.

100 Things Dodger Fans Should Know and Do Before They Die: I read about fifteen of them.

Faith and Fear in Flushing: A Met fan bitching about the Mets. You would think I would have jumped at this one.

Liberty and Tyranny by Mark Levin: I'm halfway through the Liberty part.

Stupid Black Men by Larry Elder: I got stuck around the Stupid part.

Franklin and Lucy: I normally devour books about FDR. The price sticker is still on it.

Book about the Ed Sullivan Show: I've skimmed the section about the Beatles and Topo Gigio.

MTM Quality Television: A compendium on the MTM Enterprises programs. I read the chapter on "Rhoda."

Sixty Feet, Six Inches by Bob Gibson and Reggie Jackson: For some reason, I'm even further away from reading it.

Finding It by Valerie Bertinelli: You would think this was first on my list.

The Jack Benny Program: A history of his radio and TV show. Part of my research for a radio show we are planning.

Blondie, The Bumstead Family History: A compilation of my most favorite comic strip. I'm so far behind that Cookie hasn't even arrived yet.

FDR's Deadly Secret: Alleges that he died of skin cancer. I will let you know when I finally open it.

A biography on Walt Disney.

An autobiography of Hollywood producer Walter Mirisch.

A biography on Otto Preminger.

A biography on Hollywood director Victor Fleming.

A book on Frank Sinatra's film career.

1960: A book on that year's Presidential election. I bought it at Dallas' Sixth Floor Museum. When I was there two years ago!

Traitor to His Class: Another new book on FDR. At least, it was new when I got it.

An American Film Institute book detailing conversations with noted filmmakers. Several have died since I received this gift.


This list is quite pathetic. And, I realize now something even worse.

I am now wasting my time and writing about not reading.

But, now that this inadequacy is out there for all to see, this blog will be my challenge. I will strive to finish books and tell you when I did. Welcome to the Reading Police. So, do your job. Tell me to hit the books right now.

Okay, I think I heard one of you. Off I go.

Dinner last night: Black forest ham sandwich and salad at the NY abode.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I read the Disney bio but it took a while. I have exactly the same problem finishing a book. Middle age? ADD? Too many distractions?

I gave you the FDR bio and will guilt you into reading it.

Actually, it could make an interesting ongoing blog to track the reading of a book start-to-finish.

Anonymous said...

Fess Parker: dead. RIP.

Anonymous said...

Once you realized that Finding it by Valerie Bertinelli wasn't about her search for Len, that left only the pictures. Are you done with the pictures? The other books perhaps are not as interesting as your other activities. If variety is the spice of life, try reading a different kind of book. How about a Jackie Collins masterpiece "Poor Little Bitch Girl”. Have fun in New York.
15thavebud

Anonymous said...

Len, you have to be happy that Valeries's coming back in a sitcom that also has the great Betty White. Spec script?

Anonymous said...

Maybe you can't finish a book but at least you're not wasting time in Farmville.