Friday, April 9, 2010

I Think I Went to a Tea Party

And just so you know, this is the only kind of tea I really drink. Diet Snapple with Lemon is preferred.

I don't need to burden you with the hows and whys this happened, but one day last week found me at the Ronald Reagan Library in Simi Valley for a Sean Hannity event. I was in the front row for the radio broadcast in a packed auditorium. There were whoops and hollers and lots of applause. Plenty of discussion calling for the mass firing of Nancy Pelosi, Harry Reid and even President Obummer. Not through any means of violence, but the good ole electoral process. You get the general idea.

Yep, I suppose this was a Tea Party of sorts. The only problem is that I missed some of the Tea Party elements that have been reported on with great glee by the media.

I didn't see homosexuals being pummeled.

I didn't see Jews being beaten.

I didn't see Blacks being forced to shine shoes.

Oh, and the esteemed "N" word that is supposedly dropped around willy nilly at Tea Parties like Tic Tacs? The only "N" word I heard?

"Len, have you got a piece of gum?"

"No."

That's as "N" as it got.

What I did hear and see was a lively discussion of one side of the issues. Forget the fact that I pretty much sit firmly on that very one side of the issues. If Nancy Pelosi or Obummer were to be bounced from their jobs tomorrow, I'd be the first to call down to the mailroom for a packing box. But, still, what I watched was an honest and respectable dialogue from the right side of the political aisle. Nothing sinister here or there. No swastika posters hoisted overhead. No Nazi symbols emblazoned on photos of POTUS. No DVDs of movies called "The Assassination of Barack Obama" or "The Assassination of Harry Reid."

Of course, during the former Presidential administration, we did see all of the above from the left side of the political aisle. Swastika posters hoisted overhead. Nazi symbols emblazoned on photos of the then-POTUS. DVDS of movies called "The Assassination of George Bush" or "The Assassination of Richard Nixon."

Double standards available 24/7. Having cake and eating it, too.

And you are viewed as less than normal if you differ slightly. For instance, during one of the show's breaks, a work colleague who apparently didn't buy into any of the day's rhetoric was obviously distressed by the discussion.

"After listening to this, we should both go home and take a shower."

Quite the bold assumption. Because he thought so, I naturally was in agreement? I wanted to answer back as succinctly as possible.

"No shower needed for me. You'll have to wash your own back."

My colleague raised an eyebrow. With a little surprise and a whole lot of disdain.

"Oh???"

Yes, oh. Because, let's face it, in this most polarized of all countries, there's at least one-half of the populace that doesn't agree with what's going on. These days, from what I could tell at this event, there are a whole lot more.

I had a similar experience last month while flying back from NY. In my newfound campaign to read more, I had cracked open once again conservative radio host Mark Levin's "Liberty and Tyranny," a marvelous juxtaposition of current day politics to what was originally framed in the United States Constitution by our forefathers. As I read the book while stuck in an equipment snafu at the gate, I suddenly felt a pair of eyes on me. The guy in 23F. Eyeing what I was reading. And shaking his head. The more I turned the pages, the more I aggravated him. Ray Bradbury, where are you when needed?

I wanted to say something snarky to this jackass. I did nothing. I just kept reading. And resolved to never apologize again for what I say, read, or believe.

So, let's get this out in the open right now. Certainly no surprises for any of the regular readers to this daily hamster wheel called "Len Speaks."

I am registered in California as an Independent. But, back in NY, I was registered as a Republican.

I will always tend towards the conservative side, most particularly with regard to economic spending.

I am a very generous person and not a racist, but I am very strongly against entitlements to certain members of the population who expect them.

I am of the opinion that the sooner we recognize those segments of our population still exist to this day, the better off we will be.

I am against an overly imposing federal government.

I don't think the health care system needs to be totally reformed. Go back to the previous statement on entitlements and that will explain why.

I am supportive of a strong military, as I know that there are many longstanding enemies of the United States in this world. These grudges and conflicts didn't pop out of nowhere over the course of the last eight years.

On a social basis, I am pro-choice as long as there are medical reasons behind the necessary actions.

I am in favor of leaving my fellow man alone. They can believe what they want, say what they want, and marry whom they want. As long as I receive the same reciprocal treatment.

I am most supremely proud to be an American.

Have these messages been conveyed successfully? I sure hope so. If you agree, fine. If you disagree, fine. Just don't judge me if we're not on the same page. Because you'll get it right back.

In spades.

And I'm talking about the playing card. But, then again, you never know these days what is allowed in the course of your given day.

Watching a news network last week on an apparent slow day, there was a crawl talking about Obama being "the first President to use a Blackberry."

At what point will somebody complain about this statement and adapt it to read "the first President to use an African American Berry?"

Hey, I'm just thinking what I'm told.

Dinner last night: Grilled teriyaki chicken.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Speaking of racist, I'm enjoying the Hamas cartoons on YouTube. Just trying to get all points of view.