Thursday, March 19, 2015

Morons of the Month - March 2015

This lunacy is breaking news.   I want to write this while it's still piping hot fresh in my mind.  

I arrived in New York yesterday for a week of part-work, part-fun, and part-dusting my apartment.  I haven't been in town since December and it turns out this winter was one that should have been avoided by yours truly.

But there was no sustenance in the house so it was off to the A and P in Hastings.   

Okay, they're the direct morons of this piece.  But, in reality, it's not their fault really.  Indeed, the blame can get pointed all the way to Santa Monica, California.   The first bureaucratic idiots to ban plastic bags.  Yep, the moronic city leaders in that town contended that plastic bags were a traffic menace!  They cause auto accidents, don't you know?   As if you've ever seen a plastic bag driving under the influence.  

Of course, this nonsense spread to other parts of Los Angeles.  And, much to my horror, it's apparently reached Westchester County as well.  

I had piled up a bunch of groceries on the check-out counter.   The kid at the register looked at me when he was finished ringing things up.  

"Okay, thank you."

Um, what am I supposed to do now?  He advised me that they no longer had plastic bags.   Oh, I can buy a couple of paper bags.

PS, these would be paper bags without handles.  D'oh.  Jeez, you can even get handles at Ralph's in LA.  So, three brown paper bags, which were as porous as Quilted Northern Toilet Tissue, were loaded with my groceries.  I had to hold them in my arms like I was Jerry Lewis in "The Errand Boy." 

And one completely fell apart as I attempted to carry it through my garage.   Of course, it would be the bag that I had some Diet Snapples in.  

For the next twenty minutes, I was picking up glass shards that were all over the place.  Luckily, I had Band Aids in the house for the two finger cuts I got.  

All because the A and P has really shitty bags.  With no handles.

So, yes, for that, I am labeling them as morons.  But, let's not forget where this is all coming from.   The environmental kooks that have driven our state and local and federal governments into the ground with their rules and regulations and justifications for their high salaries.

We're so worried about killing trees and environmental hazards.  Remember that when you sift through the Sunday newspaper laden with five or ten pounds of circular flyers.

More importantly, remember the waste of paper next Fall when the candidates want your vote.  And virtually attack your mailboxes with all the reasons why you should vote for them.  

Shameful, shameful, shameful. 

Dinner last night: Roast beef and potato salad.

No comments: