Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Strictly for Musical Comedy Fans...And Those Who Love Anna Kendrick

Admittedly, "The Last Five Years" is not a movie for everybody.  I think you have to be a huge fan of the musical comedy genre.  Or dream daily of Anna Kendrick.

That would be me.   And, yes, that would be me.

If you're in that very narrow target audience, you won't be disappointed.  I wasn't.  I've been humming some of the music ever since.  I've been humming Anna Kendrick, too.  

I had never heard of the off-Broadway show that this film is based.   With music and lyrics composed by somebody named Jason Robert Brown, it apparently opened for ten minutes a decade or so ago.  I guess it got no traction.   But, from what I read on the internet, it had its core and ardent fans.  People were clamoring for it to be filmed for the big screen.   Well, okay, I'm not sure four people can actually work up a clamor, but you get the point.

When I read that there's a movie out that resembles a musical comedy, I'm going to be interested.   And, when said musical stars Anna Kendrick, well, I'm going to be super interested.   I've been a fan of her since her Supporting Actress Oscar nominated-turn in "Up in the Air."  She's one of those triple threats.   She can act.  She can sing.  She can make me swoon.  

One, please.

And, even though I am slightly biased, Anna Kendrick steals this picture.  Granted that there are really only two characters and granted that co-star Jeremy Jordan is no Broadway slouch himself.   But, every time she is on the screen and singing, you are riveted.  She has so much delicious energy that you can't take your eyes off the screen.

It also helps that she doesn't exactly look like Ernest Borgnine.

"The Last Five Years" is a cleverly devised tale that is told practically all in song.  Jamie and Cathy are a Manhattan-based married couple.  He's a successful novelist.  She's an unsuccessful musical comedy star.  Their stories are told separately and in two different directions.   As the film opens on Cathy, she just has learned that Jamie has left her for another woman.   Her story is told in backwards fashion.   Meanwhile, we meet Jamie just as he first encounters Cathy.  His story moves forward in linear fashion.

If any of that sounds confusing to you, it's really not.  Apparently, on stage, the characters never had any scenes with each other.   But, on the big screen, they connect all the time.   In songs that depict their lives, their frustrations, their wedding, their careers.   When the film concludes, it all makes amazing sense and you've essentially had a terrific time for ninety minutes.   Yes, folks, ninety minutes.   How freakin' economical is that??

As engaging as Jamie and Cathy were together, the solo numbers mastered by Anna Kendrick alone are remarkable.   She has a vitality on screen.  Whether the song is serious or funny as all hell, Kendrick delivers.  I may have to see it again just so I can view what I missed by simply gaping at her.

True, this is no blockbuster of a movie.  I heard it's already available on ITunes and Video-on-Demand.  It won't make tons of dough.  I doubt anybody in the entire states of Iowa, Nebraska, and Oklahoma will see it.   But, for a select few of us, it's a perfect way to spend some time in the dark.

You know who you are.

LEN'S RATING:  Three-and-a-half stars.

Dinner last night:  Bacon and cheddar cheese omelet. 


No comments: