Thursday, October 8, 2015

Here We Go Again

I've been this route before.   And, luckily for me, more often than not over the past few years.

Indeed, as a Dodger season ticket holder, I have been blessed to get to attend postseason baseball five times in the past ten years.   This one that starts at Dodger Stadium will be Number Six.

So, the LA crew will be playing the Mets in the first round and people have been asking me how conflicted I am.   Well, not as much as you would think.

I am still smarting at the treatment my friends and I received from the organization after the team moved to Citi Field and these partial plan holders got kicked to one bad seat location to another.  We were abused and I know that the Wilpon ownership (and most particularly, scumbag son Jeff) is at the root of it all.  

At the same time, I have been treated royally here in Los Angeles.  Prompt return calls from the ticket office always and lots and lots of perks for being part of the Dodger family.

Friends from New York ask me how I could possibly be a Dodger fan.

"They deserted Brooklyn."

Oh, fucking, please.  Read a damn book about what happened back in the mid-1950s that precipitated the Dodgers and Giants' move west.  There was lots of political chicanery from the likes of rat bastard Robert Moses and other hacks.   Indeed, the very spot where Dodger owner Walter O'Malley wanted to build his domed stadium is the very spot which today houses the Barclay Center and is now revitalizing Brooklyn.   The only problem is that this finally happened five decades later.   There needed to be tons of urban blight before that could happen.

At the end of the October day, you never really know what will happen in postseason baseball.   A ball going through Bill Buckner's legs.   An unlikely Mike Scioscia home run in the top of the ninth inning.  Matt Holliday dropping an easy fly ball in the top of the ninth as well.   I've been lucky to be at all three of those moments.   And there might be more.  I hope so.

As it is, I wouldn't be surprised if either the Dodgers or the Mets won this upcoming series.   The Dodgers have been good but erratic.   The Mets did well but did so in the baseball division with the very worst winning percentage in all of baseball.  Plus a large majority of the last six weeks of the season, the Mets were primarily playing the three Eastern Division teams that had trashed their rosters at the July 31st trading deadline.

But, one lucky bounce in one direction or another can seal a deal. And for the Los Angeles games that open the series, temperatures will be in the 90s.   Just like last year when both Clayton Kershaw and Adam Wainwright wilted in the heat.

Again you just never know.   But 90% of the fun is in the finding out.

Dinner last night:  Chef's salad. 

No comments: