Tuesday, March 1, 2022

Thumbs Up? Thumbs Down?

 

Days later, I still don't know what I really thought about Paul Thomas Anderson's "Licorice Pizza."  I was mesmerized by some parts and incredibly bored by others.  The movie felt like it was three hours long but really only came in at 135 minutes.  There are segments I still admire and other episodes in the film that I detest.

Talk about your fence sitting.

Since it came out in December, I was anxiously awaiting the chance to see "Licorice Pizza."  I mean, it sang to me in advance.  A 70s pop soundtrack.   Coming of age in the 70s as well which I could identify with even if it was set in the San Fernando Valley...3000 miles away from where I grew up.  So if any film was set up to find a fan in me, this was it, especially after it got some Oscar noms.

Part of the issue is that this movie is extremely episodic.  Anderson is relating on screen the stories of his friend, child actor Gary Goetzman, virtually verbatim.  Gary was in the movie "Yours, Mine, and Ours" with Lucille Ball, so we see that with an actress playing somebody Lucy-like.   The hero in the movie opens a waterbed company just like Goetzman did.  And, yes, he did once deliver a waterbed to hair dresser Jon Peters and that's shown in the film with Bradley Cooper playing Peters.  

I can also assume that Goetzman, like the doppelganger in the film, was in love with a girl that was ten years older than him.  That up and down relationship is the major thread throughout "Licorice Pizza" and the girl is played by some singer Alana Haim from the girl rock group...wait for it...Haim.   In fact, her entire family is in this movie playing...waiting for it...her family.   And, even in an odder touch, there is a music video that plays before the film and it is performed by...Alana Haim.

See how all over the place this thing?

The 70s authenticity and soundtrack is perfect, while the film is much less so.   At times.   There are times where you truly love the characters and then, one scene later, the relationships are cringe-worthy.  There are some wonderful character actor performances along the way with John C. Reilly having one line as Fred "Herman Munster" Gwynne.   And I always welcome any appearance by the terrific Harriet Sansom Harris as a Hollywood casting director.   Her role here is a close-up and monologue that lasts five minutes and is hilarious.

But I wished I liked it more.   Or hated it less.   Indeed, the title sort of invokes my feelings overall.   I mean, who puts licorice on a pizza?

LEN'S RATING:  Two-and-a-half stars....or maybe three stars...or maybe two stars.

Dinner last night:  Salad.


No comments: