Tuesday, October 11, 2022

Rebooted

 

If you truly watched every show now offered up by countless streaming services, you would actually turn into a zombie.  And likely cut off five years of your life.

In this day and age, I am extremely, extremely judicious about what I watch.  The first thing that has to happen is that I need to know that said show even exists.  That, in itself, rarely occurs.  So much content drops every week that it creates sort of the brain freeze you get when your ice cream is too cold.

So, somehow and in some way, "Reboot" got my attention.   First off, it's on Hulu and they unveil a series over several weeks which is the way I like to watch television.  Second, the creator is "Modern Family" showrunner Steven Levitan, which is not a bad pedigree.

Third and most importantly, I spotted Judy Greer in the cast photo above (she's the blonde) and I have always dug her.   So, I sampled.

And was rewarded,  because "Reboot" is clever and entertaining.   While the show is very much "inside Hollywood," there's enough to make you smile with this relatively simple premise.

The young daughter of a veteran TV sitcom creator wants to do a reboot of one of his family sitcoms from around the year 2000 with the original cast.   But she wants to put a woke spin on it by employing a writing staff that envelops the diversity rainbow...Black, Hispanic, and gay.   

But, the network, which is indeed Hulu in the script, wants to guarantee the show's success by bringing in the original creator himself, played with zero political correctness by Paul Reiser.   He, in turn, adds to the writing staff by bringing three old Jewish joke writers fresh from Canter's Deli.   Add to the mix that Dad and Daughter have been estranged and you have tons of conflicts.

Add to this that two of the stars (Greer and Keegan-Michael Key) had an affair on the original show and one of the kid actors has grown up to be an idiot.   There is so, so much to work with.   I was intrigued immediately and now I'm a big fan.

So, yes, folks, I can find a streaming show that I actually want to watch.

Dinner last night:  Leftover baby back ribs.

No comments: