Thursday, October 11, 2018

Arresting

See what I did there with that title?   Sometimes, my own cleverness astounds me.   Heh heh.

While I saw this documentary on HBO, it technically is a movie I can remove since it was in theaters for about a week.   Regardless, it's a film you should check out wherever or whenever you can.

Say what you want about Jane Fonda.   She's had a fascinating life as a daughter to a legendary actor, a sexpot, a felon, a political activist, an actress, and now a champion for senior citizens.   Heck, I'm tired just typing that sentence.   I know folks who still think she was a crackpot for all the Viet Nam protesting. But, she was exercising her First Amendment rights and I give her a pass.   

"Jane Fonda in Five Acts" by famed documentary maker Susan Lacy covers all of the above beautifully.   Most notably, this film has the full participation from Fonda herself whose words essentially power the story.   At all times, Jane is candid, fascinating, and amazingly glib.   The film's first four acts are developed around men in her life:  Father Henry, first husband/French director Roger Vadim, second husband/politician Tom Heyden, and third husband/broadcast executive Ted Turner.   The final act focuses on Jane's life now and it is a fitting conclusion.

The true mark of a good documentary is when I learn things about a known subject that I never knew in the first place.   For instance, I didn't realize what a major influence the suicide of her mother played on Fonda's life.   Nor did I realize she had a daughter was an "unofficial" adoption from the natural parents who were members of the Black Panthers.   Indeed, the segment about her relationship with Ted Turner is made more special when she visits him on his Montana ranch.   Surprisingly, she calls him her "favorite ex-husband."

Again, people are divided over how they view Jane Fonda.  For me, I specifically consider the film work and she has done some memorable movies.  Even her current work on the Netflix sitcom "Grace and Frankie" is to be admired.   This documentary captures all of her many nuances and is a very compelling look at an iconic figure in both film and political history.    If you're a devotee of either of those areas, you'll want to check out this one.

LEN'S RATING:  Three-and-a-half stars.

Dinner last night:  Sausage and peppers at Vito's Pizza.


No comments: