Sunday, October 14, 2018

Your Weekend Movie Guide For October 2018

Every time I uncover a new photo of one of my hometown movie palaces, I get excited.   Here's one of RKO Proctor's in Mount Vernon, New York circa 1955. From this shot, I had no idea the name of the theater was on the top of the building.   But I so remember the marquee and the flashing lights.  And the camera store on the corner where my mom developed photos.

What will be memorable this weekend in our movie theaters?   I have my doubts.  You know the monthly drill, folks.  I will sift through the pages of the Los Angeles Times movie section and give you my gut reaction to the fare on the big screen.

If only I could be at that palace on Gramatan Avenue one more time.  The office building is still there.   The movies, however, are not.

22July:  A movie about over 70 kids killed in a Norway terrorist attack back in 2011.   So, a musical?

Beautiful Boy:  Steve Carell's now annual attempt at getting an Oscar.  Give it up already!

The Old Man and the Gun:  Robert Redford's final film.  Maybe.   He is already backtracking just like Cher and Barbra did with their so-called farewell tours.

Venom:   Probably about the Democratic party.

The Sisters Brothers:  An old fashioned western with John C. Reilly, Jake Gyllenhaal, and Joaquin Phoenix...three names that don't hold a candle to John Wayne.

Colette:  All about the French novelist and I am stifling a yawn right now.

A Star Is Born:   Reviewed here recently.   Avoid it at all costs if you are a fan of any other version of this movie.

First Man:  Neil Armstrong lands on the moon and this is one movie I am looking forward to.

The Kindergarten Teacher:   Maggie Gyllenhaal stars and it's good to see both brother and sister are working these days.

Can You Ever Forgive Me:   All about famed celebrity biographer Lee Israel as played by Melissa McCarthy and the last two words just turned me completely off.

The Great Buster - A Celebration:  All about Buster Keaton as told by Peter Bogdanovich and I can't wait.

The Advocates:  A documentary on the homeless crisis in LA.  Will somebody send a copy of this to that dumbbell mayor Eric Garcetti?

Big Kill:  Gamblers back in the Old West.  Also not starring John Wayne.

Brampton's Own:  A career minor leaguer tries to restart his life.   Hmmm.   I could see this.

Change in the Air:   A woman with mysterious ways.   Starring Rachel Brosnahan of "Mrs. Meisel" and my new girlfriend.

Charm City:  A documentary about crime in Baltimore.   Hopefully it focuses first on City Hall.

An Evening with Beverly Luff Linn:  Who???

Galveston:  A mob hit man on the lam.   I doubt we'll hear the wonderful Glen Campbell song.

Halloween:  Jamie Lee Curtis is back in this reboot of the original thriller and I am oddly attracted to this.

London Fields:  A dying American author and an English seductress and here comes that pesky yawn again.

High Voltage:   The lead singer of a rock band is struck by lightning.   Fill in the rest as you so choose.

Mid90s:   All about a LA skate shop back when.  I'm yawning yet a third time.

The Super:  Tenants have gone missing in an apartment building.   I guess they didn't fill out the proper repair forms.

Bigger:  Uh oh.  The "B" word.

The Oath:  Who the fuck is Tiffany Haddish?

Night School:  And I am asking that question again.

Fahrenheit 11/9:  Michael Moore's latest stab at making up shit and calling it a documentary.

Reach:  A suicidal teen.   I guess they cancelled "Riverdale."

Thunder Road:  A Texas police offer and I am doubting we'll hear the Bruce Springsteen song.

What They Had:  Two grown children deal with aging parents.   Hey, I did it all by myself!

Wildlife:  Domestic drama in 1960s Montana.   In case you were wondering what life was like in 1960s Montana.

Dinner last night:  Chopped Chinese chicken salad.


No comments: