Thursday, October 4, 2018

The Murphy Brown Reboot

Well, Murphy Brown is back and everybody is asking me what I thought of the first episode.   As regular readers know, I have a soft spot for the show as I hung around the original set for a while and even did a walk-through in Phil's Bar during one episode.

Yes, I am a little biased.   And, naturally, I am also rooting for any reboot of any multi-camera sitcom shot before a live audience.  And if there is one major issue with the new MB, it's that.   They are shooting in front of a live audience but you can't hear the laughter.

I've been watching the original play out in reruns on Antenna TV.   One thing I am struck by is the genuine laughter of both the audience and the crew.   It is raucous.  It is infectious.  More notably, it is audible.

Not so the reboot.   I know it's shooting at Kaufman-Astoria Studios in NY.  Do they have their chops down when it comes to audio mixing?   I doubt it.  Because while you could hear some laughter, it was almost muted.   And that destroys the whole ambiance if you ask me.

Naturally, MB came back solely to get their hands on a lot of Trump jokes.   I know some friends of mine who are turning off the reboot because of that.   In my book, political humor is fine as long as it's clever.   And MB always managed to do that.   You're really substituting the name Trump in place of Dan Quayle.

For me, the premiere episode was set up well.  Creator-writer Diane English uses some symmetry to have the old FYI gang come together again primarily because of the 2016 Presidential election.   Like I said, that's why the reboot exists as well.

I predicted a long while ago that Murphy's son Avery would and should play a major role in this and I was right.   I would have had Avery be a conservative voice on a Fox-like network.   Well, they have made him a little more liberal but actually middle-of-the-road.   Smart move.  That will keep the comedy a little more balanced.   Jake McDorman as Avery shows a lot of promise.

They are playing up the age factor of the old FYI crew by showing how far behind they are in the technological world.   That alone can fuel a lot of episodes.  Don't deny the age factor.  Embrace it.

It is age that has unfortunately slowed down Candice Bergen's delivery just a bit.  As a result, the other actors are playing to her level and that results in an energy level of 8 where it should be registering at a 10.  But these actors are pro and deliver the goods regardless.

I loved the back story that will promote Corky Sherwood's menopause.   Miles Silverberg suffering from PTSD as a result of working for two years with The View is genius.   I also loved the reference to the late Robert Pastorelli.  The painter Eldin has passed on as a result of a fatal run with the bulls in Spain.

It's fascinating to see the recreated sets of Phil's bar and Murphy's townhouse, both of which I saw first-hand originally.  It all fits together like a comfy sweater and that's fine with me.   There was much made of low ratings for the premiere.   Of course, the press focused on lackluster Persons 18-49 ratings. Um, excuse me, that's not going to be the MB target demo anyway.

Like I said, don't deny the age factor.  Embrace it.   Keep it up, folks.   I am watching.

Dinner last night:  Chopped salad with maple walnut dressing.

No comments: